Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 4, 2006, 9:37 PM   #1

Got to take a few shots of a bear hanging by the road .....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Question: I used my zoom lens, Aperture priority. F stop was lowest as the lens could take (f5.6) --- Wondering why the background isn't blurred with just the bear in focus. Is it the quality of the lens?

Attached Images

Ladythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2006, 9:38 PM   #2

Also I don't find the picture to be very sharp. I was resting the camera lens on the car door so I don't think movement was an issue.

Again, lens quality issue???
Attached Images

Old May 5, 2006, 5:34 AM   #3

Yes and yes to your questions - probably. We need to know what camera and what lens to answer your question.
The first "yes" is for the fact that your lens will only stop down to 5.6. The bear is too close to the background for the bg to be out of focus at f5.6. More expensive lenses may have lower f-stops and that will give less dof.
The second "yes" is because inexpensive lenses are more likely to be unable to make really sharp images. However, you did not mention if you did any post processing on the images. That may be your problem.
Most dslrs have settings in camera that you can change for sharpness, saturation and contrast. Again, it would help to know what equipment you used.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 7:00 AM   #4

Was the car engine running or turned off? Restimg on the door frame can still pick up engine vibration .
rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 10:13 AM   #5

Actually, I think the car was running. I think you're right about the vibration from the car but I also think the lens quality contributed too.

I am shooting with the Rebel XT and the lens is the 75-300mm f4-5.6 lens. I know it's a very inexpensive lens.

Just curious, I'm looking into the 75-200mm f4L -- would this lens have blurred the background more at 200MM?

Thanks for the feedback. I did touch up the photos a bit but only brightness and contrast.
Old May 5, 2006, 10:33 AM   #6

Ladythump.

I hope you don't mind but I sharpened your pictures up a bit using unsharp mask in Photoshop.

Looking at the EXIF data, it appears you shot this at a focal length of 300mm. So if in fact the car you were resting on was running, any vibration could effect the steadiness of the camera and cause camera shake.

Keep shooting

BTW we have a Rebel XT and love it

Mugmar
Attached Images

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2006, 10:33 AM   #7

Attached Images

Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote