Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 6, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1

G'day,

my mate loffles(who just signed on here) bought a nice new Nikon D50 like mine today. So we went off shooting things, and one of the things we went shooting was the Derwent River Bridge. Here are out of the roughly 80 shots all up that we took of the bridge, two shots that I took. He might post up some of his own but most of them were the same in composition and even lighting. So it will be up to him. It was more of a learning experience for him on how to use some of the functions of his nice shiny new camera.

Anyway as usual comments and critiques are all welcome. I will post the shots in seperate threads too.

Ollie

Attached Images

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2006, 10:44 AM   #2

Looks great. I think your image will have more impact if you burn down the area under the bridge. This will provide the viewer nice continuous lines to follow whithout eyes ping ponging from highlight to highlighted areas.

The white frame you are using also pulls the viewer out of the frame. Consider a darker area surround the image as a buffer area to your white border.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 11:03 AM   #3

G'day,

thanks for the comments again Rod. I see what you have done and I don't mind it, however I think it is slightly too dark. But I do like the feel. Hmm I might look at it later. The frame doesn't necessarily have to stay. If I decide ever to sell the shot as a print I might just do a simple white border and leave it at that with say a white matt backing. Then I can leave the framing upto whom ever should like to buy it.

Ollie
Old May 6, 2006, 11:14 AM   #4

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
G'day,

thanks for the comments again Rod. I see what you have done and I don't mind it, however I think it is slightly too dark. But I do like the feel. Hmm I might look at it later. The frame doesn't necessarily have to stay. If I decide ever to sell the shot as a print I might just do a simple white border and leave it at that with say a white matt backing. Then I can leave the framing upto whom ever should like to buy it.

Ollie
Hello Ollie,

My edits are quick and crude for demonstration purposes to provide others with a visual. Those who are new to photography may not recognize subtle modifications.

I usually only comment on the visual effectiveness of an image and avoid it is or isn't pretty comments. As is, you are missing out on the impact it can have. A white backing will only create more distraction from a great image. Matts and frames should work with the image to draw the viewer in to the intended center of interest.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2006, 12:23 PM   #5

G'day,

I just wanted to clarify that I do realise the implications of different colour matts to a shot. My intentions to either use a white mat backing or some other colour are really only intended so that the shot looks acceptable to the viewer whom might buy the shots.

I do also have the shots before they were framed as well. So if anything I will put a simple 8mm white border around them before I print so that way framers can have something to work with.

Ollie
Old May 6, 2006, 12:38 PM   #6

G'day,

ok here is a slightly reworked shot. Changed some settings and made it a little darker too.

Works better somewhat. I didn't actually do much the first time around, was too busy getting it sorted for forum postage.

Ollie

Attached Images

Old May 6, 2006, 6:36 PM   #7

final edit is greart ollie

love the wy the bridge leads the eye throughout the frame

great contrast andexcellent exposure all round

great shot and presentation

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote