Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 7, 2006, 9:52 PM   #1

I don't know why, but I have been having all sorts of problems with my G6

I have touched this picture up a bit with Paint Shop Pro, but the focus still seems soft. How can I improve this ?

Attached Images

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 12:42 AM   #2

Judging from the depth of field this is a closeup shot of a small chain, correct? The focus looks fairly crisp on the rust around the top left and on the portions of the chain further back. A larger depth of field would add to the clarity of focus as well as a very steady hand or tripod when working that close to the subject. The only post processing techniques to use here are sharpening (usm, smart sharpen, etc.) and possibly contrast.
JunixRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 1:30 AM   #3

your exif data shows f3.6.

this sort of f stop will result ina shallow dof

it also looks to me like there is some sort of noise reduction added to the image. seems with the chain the detail just disappears suddenly as if its run through nr software not sure

yea i would run it through an unsharp mase and fiddle with radius

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 2:06 AM   #4

G'day there,

thought I would have a quick adjustment of your shot. Hope you don't mind. (btw I can send you the psd file if you want it). Adjust colours, contrast and brightness and fixed a bit of the sharpness up too.

Tell me if this help at all. As I said I have the photoshop file if you want to get it off me. Just pm me and let me know.

Ollie

Attached Images

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 2:08 AM   #5

G'day there,

I just did this shot again really quickly and added some blur to the blue areas to rid them of some of the noise and to bring the front chains out a little more.

Ollie

Attached Images

Old May 8, 2006, 2:09 AM   #6

That looks much better.

So I should adjust to a higher Aperature value ?

ELDDJOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2006, 2:18 AM   #7

G'day,

damn the forums stuffed up then I think. I can't tell which of the shots has blur and which doesn't?? I am sure it is the second. Anyhow yes play with your apeture a bit and see what you can come up with. In fact use a tripod and take the shot again. Try something like f11 for your apeture.

Ollie
Old May 8, 2006, 4:40 PM   #8

Greetings Elddjoc,

If your camera has adustable settings for aperture and shutter, etc. and since the subject matter is pretty much static and is not going to move or vary in a breeze. I would set your camera on a tripod, and choose the aperture priority option. The aperture is then set by you and the camera chooses the shutter for you. This way you can maximize the aperture for the greatest depth of field. Also, you will have a solid and steady support. I generally use the camera timer in this kind of situation to further limit movement.

Nothing to lose in experimenting this way, Elddjoc, and you can apply what you learn to future situations.

Good luck..........

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company
Ronbaird is offline   Reply With Quote