Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 8, 2006, 7:30 PM   #1
s9k

Hello everyone.

This is my first picture from a fast moving object with Canon Powershot A530.
I would like to know what to do differently. It has been taken with manual settings.
Shutter speed was 1/40 s. It should have been much faster but what else is wrong?

s9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2006, 11:27 PM   #2

first off, it's overexposed, and the top of the train is pretty badly blown. if you can control aperture, stop your lens down to f8, and bump up your shutter speed. those will reduce the overexposure and also give you a little more depth of field, and the faster shutter will help you freeze the train a little better.a little more contrast would help this one as well. you didn't say how fast the train was moving, but probably not all that fast, or it'd be just a blur at 1/40 sec... in any case,your camera probably doesn't have predictive focusing, so staying focused on a moving object isn't an option, all you can do is focus on a spot ahead of the train and click the shutter just as it passes that point.

i've taken the liberty of making a few very quick and simple adjustments in Irfanview, but you can see that a little extra contrast and sharpening can make a difference. can't do much about theoverly brightarea on the top of the train cars, though, because once the highlights are blown, there's no way to bring back any detail. that can only be "fixed" with proper exposure.

Attached Images

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2006, 5:39 AM   #3
s9k

Thanks for the advice.

What about this one? This is already been cropped and I used Adobe PS Elements and it's Auto correction. Unfortunately I don't have the original anymore.

s9k is offline   Reply With Quote