Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 9, 2006, 3:58 AM   #1

Hi All,

Attached is one of the concert and fashion show I took at the Sea Festival held at our hometown last month. It was taken with my 20D, lens Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM with flash off, ISO was boosted to 800, Av mode. Yet, I doubt that this is the right shooting mode of concerts/shows photography since after having posted some photos at other websites, some criticized me that the white balance setting was wrong and so the skins of hte models did not look real. I would much appreciate it if you could advise me if I should have used my 580EX and if I had to which mode should it be set.

Thank you very much and regards,

Quan Tran

Attached Images

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2006, 11:52 AM   #2

well, here's my 5 cents,

you'll never get "natural" looking fleshtones while doing stage shots. The lights, the colors, forget it.

I shoot and try to capture the feel of the event. If the lights are blue, then the skin will be blue, that's the way it is. Only option i can see is to convert to black and white.

white balance with stage work? yeah right. Shoot raw, adjust in PS, that's the best you can hope for.

look at my site if you want more examples:
http://www.hackphotography.com
hackphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2006, 11:15 AM   #3

Thank you hackphotography very much for your advice. I feel right now for what I thought of about the stage lighting and will keep this faith without worrying anymore. I have visited your site where I found all music bands were taken excellently and professionally, esp the POV and composition.

Regards,

Quan

Quan Tran is offline   Reply With Quote