Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 15, 2006, 5:38 PM   #1

As im on a budget I need to make the most of what I have round the house to create my photography.

Todays offering was done withmy Nikon D50, tripod, a 1 million candle power car torch, and two empty boxes.

I placed the boxes and torch under the flower, turned off all the lights,moved it around until the lighting looked good, and took the shot.

No flash was used, and the photo is here straight from the camera - unedited.

Your honest opinions on my budget lighting experiment please.
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2006, 2:07 AM   #2

i really like this

nice detail throughout the petals and nice soft lighting. i do enjoy shots which fade off and this is no exception

nice work with the diy stuff

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 5:41 AM   #3

Thank you.

I have only had my D50 a week, so I am still learning how to use the camera, its rather daunting with all its settings, etc, especially as I took the jump from a Fuji s602z to digital slr.

Being on a budget is hard, but it is also teaching me how to be creative with what I have round the house, an example would be, last night Ineeded a softbox, which comprised ofour whitecloth pop up linen basket turned upside down and a halogen lamp stuck in it, granted it is not professional quality, but for me it does the job.

Mybackgrounds for the kids portrait's I did were white bedsheets pinned to the wall with a halogen light behind it, then I turned our coffee table on it's side and taped tin foil to it, to reflect the light on to the kids, and used two lamps from our lounge with 150 watt bulbsin each for the additional lighting, the whole project cost me less than £5.

Needless to say my missus goes spare when I start doing stuff like this, but she also understands that once I get the picture I am after everything goes back to normal.

Well, for a little while anyway.

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 5:46 AM   #4

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
Thank you.

I have only had my D50 a week, so I am still learning how to use the camera, its rather daunting with all its settings, etc, especially as I took the jump from a Fuji s602z to digital slr.

Being on a budget is hard, but it is also teaching me how to be creative with what I have round the house, an example would be, last night Ineeded a softbox, which comprised ofour whitecloth pop up linen basket turned upside down and a halogen lamp stuck in it, granted it is not professional quality, but for me it does the job.

Mybackgrounds for the kids portrait's I did were white bedsheets pinned to the wall with a halogen light behind it, then I turned our coffee table on it's side and taped tin foil to it, to reflect the light on to the kids, and used two lamps from our lounge with 150 watt bulbsin each for the additional lighting, the whole project cost me less than £5.

Needless to say my missus goes spare when I start doing stuff like this, but she also understands that once I get the picture I am after everything goes back to normal.

Well, for a little while anyway.

haha wel done mate

im in exa tly the same boat, wel not exactly but i have to make do with home made stuff too. i dont own a dslr yet but soon. and yea im lucky enough not to have to ans to anyone about my mess yet but tht wil change soon i think. LOL

nice shot mate

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2006, 7:09 AM   #5

great shot with available equipment...well done
rubadubdub is offline   Reply With Quote