Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 18, 2006, 4:06 PM   #1

i understand this photo is on the verge of sucking...

i am having a problem grasping aperture. how, if you were put in this situation, would you go about taking this photo, and getting all girls in focus. i think it would take an aperture around 12 or so, but i'm not sure. i know the higher the number, the deeper the plane field of focus is....the second photo, they're on staggering fields, so what would you do on it?

i appreciate everyone's comments. this is something i've struggled with, and i know if someone can point me in the right direction i can run w/ it.

thanks so much

-jon ed rowe

Attached Images

jedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18, 2006, 4:09 PM   #2

this one challenges me as well, since they're staggered. my first problem was i was shooting in shutter priority mode. big mistake. but if in aperture priority, which i'm guessing would be the best, what aperature would be best.

also, flash or no flash? i have the sigma EF-500 DG SUPER

thanks so much
Attached Images

Old May 18, 2006, 5:15 PM   #3

Just a quick reply as there is no best apeture to shoot anything. It depends on the DOF you are going for, as well as your distance form the subject (or better yet, the focal range you are shooting at)

One good way to learn is to just go outside an set up some items at staggerd distances, put your camera in apeture mode, set your camera up on a flat surface/tripod. Use manual focus to select one focus point and go through all your available apetures and take a snap. make sure to check your focus at each apeture, focusing on the same point.

When you scroll through the results on the computer you should have a good feel for what the apeture does at that focal length.

P.S a bit of fill flash would eliminate some of the shadows on their face. Makes for more flattering photos when the lines and creases dont show up. IMHO
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2006, 11:53 PM   #4

t hanks so much for the reply. great ideas. thanks
Old May 19, 2006, 6:13 AM   #5

DOF has always been a tricky thing...Looking at your shot, being in the sun, you probably could have used f8 or f11, gotten the girls in focus and still blurred your back ground....And yes, fill flash would be an added help....AP priority is best when looking to get this type of effect...
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:31 AM   #6

You can use http://dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
to get an idea of what the depth of field will be for each camera/focal length/F-stop/distance combination.

Nothing trickey about it, just takes a bit of work to learn.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:50 AM   #7

If you are using a Canon DSLR switch the dial to A-DEP, the camera will then focus on the subjects, and determine what would be the best aperture and shutter speed to get everything in focus.

This works wonders for me on group portraits.

-Travis-
NPPA Member
PPA Member

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:52 AM   #8

tswen wrote:
Quote:
If you are using a Canon DSLR switch the dial to A-DEP, the camera will then focus on the subjects, and determine what would be the best aperture and shutter speed to get everything in focus.

This works wonders for me on group portraits.

-Travis-
NPPA Member
PPA Member

thanks for thetip travis, very helpful! Great topic by the way, Jedmag.
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote