Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 21, 2006, 12:26 PM   #1

Hi all took my Nikon D50 and Tamron 90mm Macro for a spin to do and found this chummer hugging the road.

I have noticed on the pic that at the front of the pic the road is in focus now if i'd focused on the bee's back and not on its head would more of the bee be in focus.
would it have made a difference if i shot it at something like F11 ?

I really like this lens it brings some really good results but i'm trying to get as much of the subject in focus or am i asking too much.

This was shot at F8 at 90mm sorrydidn't make a note of the shutter speed and photoshop doesn't seem to care ha ha ha well at least it won't tell me what it is.

any help would be much appreciated

bodge
Attached Images

wadge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2006, 12:45 PM   #2

I haven't really shot much macro myself, but yes, if you shot at f11, your depth of field is greater and more of the bee would have been in focus. As well, more of the road would have been in focus, which may not be what you want. Isolating the subject of the part you want is what can make for some nice shots. As most of the body is blocked by the head, I am not sure you really need to have that in focus.

As a fair bit of the road is in focus, the DOF at f8 was probably enough to get most of the body in focus, if the focus had not been a bit in front of the bee.

You may know this already, but the camera looks for areas of contrast to focus on. The road gave more opportunity than the head, so if you were letting the camera select the focal point, it chose the road. Select the focus point you have on the head and you will get more of the body in focus.

BTW , you shot at 1/160. In windows XP, you can right click the picture file, select properties/advanced and you can get much of the info - occassionally more than you may want to share with others.

Kevin

klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2006, 12:55 PM   #3

aah thanks kevin.

I actually thought i was focusing on the head ha ha ha oh well better luck next time

really appreciate the info and the win xp tip

cheers

bodge
Old May 21, 2006, 2:56 PM   #4

i think in this instance the f8 would have been fine if you had focus primarily on the head

I think you need to switch your cam to spot focus or centre focus so you can selectiely focus on the subject. Then ur dof can carry back from there. I would also suggest using a centre weighted average metering mode to correctly expose ur shubject. just seems underexposed to me. I noticed in your exif data u were using a spot metering. I think you may have metered the ground infront of the bee, which would explain why the bee itself is so dark. Try to meter your subject to gain correct exposure.

Yes f11 will increase ur dof.

Yes i think once you get used to using the cam and getting the results you want you an start working on composition and placment in your shots. Your going very good so far.

below just a quick shadow enhancement to try bring up exposure and bit of sharpness

hope you dont mind

ken

Attached Images

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:25 PM   #5

Hi ya Ken

Nope I don't mind one little bit.

Real Nice Edit.

I read in another post about using the Aperture mode would this be better then using manual mode ? or i suppose i could use the aperture mode to get the settings i would need to use in manual mode dunno this is all goin over my head ha ha ha

Thanks again

Bodge
Old May 22, 2006, 2:34 PM   #6

wadge1 wrote:
Quote:
Hi ya Ken

Nope I don't mind one little bit.

Real Nice Edit.

I read in another post about using the Aperture mode would this be better then using manual mode ? or i suppose i could use the aperture mode to get the settings i would need to use in manual mode dunno this is all goin over my head ha ha ha

Thanks again

Bodge
Thanks

yes

this is the modei prefer when doin macro work. full manual mode is prob the reson for the under exposed results.

yes put the cam into aperture priority mode and select ur aperture and meter the shot using centre weighted metering and the cam should spit out an appropriate shutter speed. Its much easier and so fast to change between apertures to play with trial and error

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2006, 2:54 PM   #7

Thanks Ken

Will give it a go

many thanks

Bodge
Old May 22, 2006, 3:35 PM   #8

You also have to remember that at such close distances, DOF is incredibly thin, sometimes only millimeters in size. I usually shoot my macro lens at the smallest aperature possible to maximize DOF. This usually requires extra light. I use two speedlights (one on camera, one wirelessly) and sometimes a reflectorto get as much light in as possible. This is not always possible with insects and skittish creatures like your bee.

If you can't use extra lighting, don't be scared to shoot at the smallest aperature (using aperature priority) you can and still get a reasonable shutter speed if the subject is moving. F8 or F11 is probably not going to be enough to get the whole object in focus when shooting it lengthwise, although itmay work if shooting from the top down.

Good luck!!
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2006, 11:11 AM   #9

thanks everyone

So light is the key haven't really tried much with my external flashes yet but when i get time i'll have a crack at it.

The suns come out but its so windy wouldn't really have much chance with macro's today.

thanks to you all for your help will defo put it all to practice

cheers

bodge