Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 29, 2006, 2:24 PM   #11

That is; sinners in the hands of an angry god...I liked that, Drewaz!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 5:08 PM   #12

Ty Drewaz
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 3:29 AM   #13

G'day there,

well I am going to go all out and say I don't like either the edited version nor the original. And there are a few reasons, all of which are my own personal opinion. Firstly it is a church and churches have that earie feeling to them, especially shots like this where the veiwer is confronted with a way out of that errie feeling. Yet the door is closed, so it doesn't exactly invite a sense of freedom. In fact it can make one feel closed in and clostraphobic even.
Secondly although the selective colour may give the viewer a path or hint to the way out it takes away from the visual impact of the shot, same goes for the sign. In fact I have taken the sign out completely as it is a mark of modern design in a church that looks like it came out of the turn of the century. Again that errie feeling is what hits best when the sign isn't there.

And lastly the cropped down version also takes away from the shot. That open expanse at the top gives that view another angle and that is the idea of emptyness and lonliness. As if to say that your stuck in here with nothing to contemplate but yourself and god. And I don't believe in God so this kind of shot would really hit home on that front.

I realise this may all sound a tad overboard, but the shot has alot of character which isn't being exploited.
I also straightened it out a bit. Made it a tritone colour. And I have added a little contrast, very little.

There are two shots. Firstly the standard with no blur effect and secondly that blur effect for added atmosphere. Two shot over two post.

Hope you like.

Ollie
Attached Images

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 3:30 AM   #14

G'day,

here is the second shot. Blurred for atmosphere. And to give focus to the door.

Ollie

Attached Images

Old May 30, 2006, 6:27 AM   #15

heres my take on selective coloring

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 7:03 AM   #16

hmm I don't mind that at all alady....it gives it that wild west shootout kinda feel.

Nice.

Ollie
Old May 31, 2006, 12:18 PM   #17

i really like ollie's first edit...the blurring in the second doesn't do much for me. i also like alady40's selective coloring- would like to see that with the space at top included.the original is also well done, imo. i like the arched ceiling mimicking the door, i also like the play of light and shadow on the right side wall. the horizon straightening is a welcome sight too.* i think that ollie and alady's edits still capture the mood of rick's original.* the red coloring in the carpet and the exit sign appeal to me in the original.
julies517 is offline   Reply With Quote