Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 28, 2006, 8:26 PM   #1

Till death do us apart..

Did a little exploring today , abandoned church which was part of an asylum which is closed up. Did a little fooling around in PS converting to B&W and just keeping the Carpet red.
Attached Images

Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2006, 8:57 PM   #2

The composition lacks the kind of impact I like to see with these kinds of shots, but it is a nice idea and you did capture an image that has some possibilities.

The extra space above the doors is wasted space that doesn't ad anything to the composition. If more of the architecture were visible, then the viewer would not be left guessing. A square crop might provide more visual impact for this shot.

I think everyone gets a little too excited about selective coloring. Sometimes it is nice and does work well for this image. Carpet and Exit sign colored is a bit much, however.

Providing more contrast improves the natural lighting effects through the windows that the viewer does not see.

Below is a quick crude edit to give you some cropping and editing ideas for your image.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 1:00 AM   #3

cool image

rodneys edit is excellent. only thing i can add is maybe straigtening the horizon

nice

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 3:56 AM   #4

I actually prefer the original idea with the colored 'exit' sign...the carpet jst seems a tad oversaturated for my liking...
crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 5:47 AM   #5

crosshair wrote:
Quote:
I actually prefer the original idea with the colored 'exit' sign...the carpet jst seems a tad oversaturated for my liking...
Why do you prefer the origianal idea and what makes the original with the colored exit sign more visually effective?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 6:55 AM   #6

crosshair wrote:
Quote:
yes I did saturate the carpet some, I never mind anyone re-doing my photo and even some I liked. But I too don't care for the cropped version. But everyone has an opinion.
Old May 29, 2006, 7:38 AM   #7

Hi Gemini!
I'd also prefer the original to the edit provided that the horizon be straightened as Ken suggested.
At first sight, Rodney seems quite right in his assumption(about the space over the doors). But then,regarding the form and norm relation, the image would lose considerable amount of its solemn effect attained by the lofty arhitecture of the edifice which had kept busy the western arhitecture for some centuries to achive after the fall of Rome. Consequently, you can hardly expect this impact from the squeezed form like the exit of a small town cinema or a school bus.
On the other hand I also find the 'exit'sign in red a bit extra cute and not very necessary and will have to agree with the more contrast suggestion.
Well done :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 7:41 AM   #8

Ty, Bahadir
Old May 29, 2006, 7:54 AM   #9

Rodney> just personal preferece..to me..the "exit" sign seems to be that which gives this photograph someform of meaning...whatever it may be..

JC

crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2006, 9:11 AM   #10

I agree with crosshair .... the door looks like an ominous mouth that will consume the sinners, and the red exit sign seems like a warning that you better behave or else
drewaz is offline   Reply With Quote