Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 29, 2006, 7:01 AM   #1

I took this one at my sons Cub Scout Olympics.This is a kid that is in his den.I liked this shot because he really tried his hardest and since he is shorter than most kids his age he really jumped high.Now I doubt this is the greatest picture out there but I am kind of proud that this one went into the local paper.

Now tell me what you think of it.Also telling me other people shouldnt be in the pic wont elp as there are lots of people eveywhere at these events.

Thanks

Charlie

Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 29, 2006, 11:19 AM   #2

You've done a nice job stopping the action and exposure isn't bad for such a bright day. However, I thinkperspective wise, I would rather see more of the pit he is jumping into, rather than the runway. I also, understand that people are eveywhere at these events, and sometimes their expressions help tell the moment. However, here, most of your people have their heads cut off, which is distracting. Because of this, I think it would be better to crop out as many of the extra people as you can.

Attached is a quickie edit. I'd actually prefer to have a few extra people in the frame, but it's easier to remove people than to add heads:-)!!
Attached Images

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 6:03 AM   #3

rjseeney thanks for the help.I will try to take what you said and work on it.

Thanks

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 12:10 PM   #4

I like the edit. It really focuses all the attention on the intense concentration in his body language, facial expression, etc. This is really a nice capture.

Sometimes with these kinds of shots the best thing to do is shoot a bit wide to make sure everything you want gets into the shot, then crop later. These things happen in split-seconds so you don't get lots of time to fuss over perfect composition when you shoot. Save the composition for the darkroom (or PC, as the case may be).
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote