Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 30, 2006, 3:29 AM   #1

Hi everyone. The original background of this shot included horses(it was on a farm), but I found them to be to distracting, so I darkened the background until it was pitch black.

I'd appreciate any feedback on this shot, even if its negative.
Attached Images

JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 10:30 AM   #2

Very nice John, butI think your monitor needs some adjusting, the backgroung wasn't all black, the upper left 1/3 of the photo was grey and very distracting. I did a very fast adjustment. made the BG really all black, but then all I saw was her white sweater so I darkened that slightly and then cropped out a little of the space around her, but that could be done to a better print ratio. Nice pose and expression, great job! Needs more swimsuit though:blah::blah::-).
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 10:36 AM   #3

Hi,

obviously the edit is better. I have a feeling that the original was PS'ed and you were using layers and I am going to guess that the brush tool wasn't at max flow and hardness etc, giving it that grey look. Also as mentioned your whites and blacks might look find on whatever monitor you use but it showed up easily the mistake that you made. Not trying to have a go of course just pointing out.
As for the actual shot I think it has possibilities in the way she is posed, except I feel that she is struggling to turn her head far enough and it makes her looks like she is stretching to look at the camera. If you were to take the shot again and have her rotate a little that would eleviate that issue.

Otherwise not bad.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 2:13 PM   #4

Hi John

Your portriat work is coming along nicely. great model too

in this shot i do prefer the edit in reference to the backing at i too find the grey patch in the back distracting. in referece to the white top i think some where between the orig and edit would be about right.

pose looks a little uncomfortable and unnatural but as ollie suggested easily fixed by getting yuor wife to turn a bit more.

i also think a more side on angle will be more flattering also

still its a nice shot mate

regards
ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 4:58 PM   #5

i like the idea you made to your pics... but of course the edit is more better...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"i agree that the pose is tillte bit stretch her neck in able you model to face the cam... little bit turn to left side and littile bit step backward of her left leg will give more look relaxing to your model. anyhow its just my idea. thanks for sharing. great shot

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"scorpion
scorpionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2006, 5:03 PM   #6

Nice portrait of a white sweater! Dark background makes the sweater the center of interest in this image.

Facial angle is not flattering...Look at the nose. The pose is kind of awkward too.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 1:13 AM   #7

Thanks very much for the advice everyone, all very valid points. I was struggeling with the tone of this shot, because the photo looked different in photoshop then the saved jpeg (quite strange).

Anyway, I'll pay careful attention to the gray next time, I actually put the gray inon theside, intending to make it looklike a shaft of light, then didn't like the effect, so I took it out,obvioulsy not correctly.
Old May 31, 2006, 10:29 AM   #8

Hello John.....
One more quicky comment on your shot...To me it looks like your model was cut and pasted on a black background...I did not see the original that you said had horses but try this approach...Use the original shot and go in and do a heavy blur effect...The way the shot is now, I feel that there is to much of a change from the model and the black...Maybe creating your own dof will help in the transision...Just a thought...
john:roll:
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 1:09 AM   #9

Thanks for the tip John, I did try that, but the highlights were a bit distracting. I realized that the background looked a bit fake, so that why I tried putting in the shaft of light, which I didn't like either. Moral of the story - get your background right when you take the shot.