Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old May 30, 2006, 5:25 PM   #1

Hello everyone!

Well I've been away from Steve's Forums for a while due to work and travel, and am busy preparing for summer camps (charity work in Romania). But I had enough time whilst in the UK to buy a tele-zoom lens, the Canon 100-300mm f4.5-5.6, which I'm quite happy with.

The past week was the first chance to really try to use it. My fiancee (Tundi) and I love rollerblading, and I took a few photos of her whilst she was enjoying 'blading, to try to capture a "street rollerblading" theme... there is a wide and long footpath (sidewalk) along one side of the park in the town she lives in which is popular (and allowed) with rollerbladers, etc.

Any comments or preferences on these 2 photos? I purposely wanted people in the background to create the "street rollerblading" feel / theme, as anyway that is what is happening (it's not a specific area for rollerblading or cycling, alone, but just a normal street / footpath / sidewalk area).

I'm happy with the sharpness of this lens, especially for the price. The USM autofocus is really fast, I'm especially happy with that, and it has decent build quality (similar to my Canon 28-135mm). But as I've already experienced, using a lens going to 300mm ona Canon 350D (equating to 480mm in 35mm format) means new learning and techniques (e.g. ensuring enough shutter speed, etc). These photos were taken hand-held.

Love to hear from you all. And I'm glad to be back!

Paul

#1 Tundi blading 1
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2006, 5:27 PM   #2

.... and here is the 2nd photo of Tundi rollerblading I decided to share with you. I also posted another photo (of a bird) in the wildlife section. Yes, using a 300mm lens on a APS-C digital camera is a lot of fun and an entirely new world opens up!

Please let me know what you think of these photos, and any hints for improvements for these types of photos...

Cheers!

Paul

#2 Tundi blading 2

Attached Images

Old May 31, 2006, 2:13 AM   #3

This morning I decided to add a third photo... this time of the lens at maximum zoom wide open (300mm at f5.6). (just to show the lens' possibilities at this combination). I'm happy with the quality / result. Maybe not as good a photo composition-wise (because it doesn't actually show her rollerblades!)

All the best. Please let me know your critiques / comments, etc.

Paul
Attached Images

Old May 31, 2006, 2:33 AM   #4

That's right, Paul. I could only acquire this effect with a lot of post blur for the background at the PS but which would not seem as natural as these.
Glad you've had a great time during your absence here.
So I bid you welcome by heart once again under the sun, as I did upon seeing your photos just before I went to sleep :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 3:53 AM   #5

fantastic shots

very nice and natural

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2006, 5:40 PM   #6

Ken and Bahadir,

Thanks for your respective comments.

Bahadir, I've enjoyed the noticable thin dof using a 300mm lens at wider apertures (e.g. f5.6 through to f8). Now I understand what NHL has been saying about using zooms for outdoor portraits! As you said, good to get the blur right with the lens rather than PS.

Ken, indeed that's the way I wanted these photos... nice and natural. So I appreciate your insight and comments as such. I appreciate a lot of your photographs.... and I must say your avatar is lookin' well too!

All the best

Paul
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:42 AM   #7

Good shots.

Second is best.

Worth a quick edit to remove the background figures. If you feel like it.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 3:46 PM   #8

Thanks Lboy! I appreciate your constructive comments.

You have an eye for detail and thus I take your feedback seriously! Indeed I could clone out the other people which would indeed make a nice "single shot", but I wanted a series to capture the "street rollerblading" aspect of it.

Also I realise the Ford advertisement on the left (of the 2nd, your favourite photo) is very annoying, bright and distracting. But I was just so excited to use my new zoom lens (Canon 100-300). And I'mpleasedwith the results.

As I seem to remember you have a Canon 70-200 L lens, right? F4 or F2.8 version? I couldn't afford either of those... but maybe oneday if I get rich... (well I'ld probably get the Sigma 120-300 f2.8 actually in the end if I really got loaded with money!)

But for the time being I'm very thankful with my latest lens purchase. Now I need to keep learning and shooting!!

Thanks again for looking and your comments, Lboy.

Paul
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:37 PM   #9

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Ken, indeed that's the way I wanted these photos... nice and natural. So I appreciate your insight and comments as such. I appreciate a lot of your photographs.... and I must say your avatar is lookin' well too!

All the best

Paul

THank you paul

All the best to you too

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote