Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 1, 2006, 10:57 AM   #1

Ive been working at improving my portrait shots for some time now. Still don't have it down as well as I might like but am posting a few for critique and any opinions on improvement or are they Ok as is?

Young boy

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 1, 2006, 11:33 AM   #2

I like this shot a lot. It makes me leap ahead to when he is old enough to have a girlfriend -- I imagine her looking through the family album and saying how cute he was as a lad, and him blushing. It just seems to capture something both universal and specific. You have a realtalent for portrait work.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 5:56 PM   #3

Thanks, he is a good looking boy. Im sure he will break a few hearts in the future
Old Jun 1, 2006, 6:38 PM   #4

I like the shot a lot. Content and framing were done nicely and I think the b+w adds much to it. Great Job.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2006, 9:45 PM   #5

Hello Alady,

I've enjoyed watching your portrait skills progress. You have certainly come a long way.

First, let me say that you have done a fine job with this image though there are a couple things to keep in mind for future similar conditions. The bright white under shirt is a terrible distraction in this image and is what the viewer will ultimately be drawn to.

The framing looks fine as you have it, but I think this shot looks better if his head and upper torso do not carry the same weight in the image. Cropping slightly more from the head seems to provide a better balance so that the head and torso don't look the same size. :-)

Be careful when you have a hand nearer the light source than the face because it will be brighter and become the center of interest. My quick sloppy edit demonstrates the difference a bright hand can make.

This is an image of a young boy so don't be afraid to pump up the contrast and sharpening in your post work.

Thank you for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:20 AM   #6

thanks for all the advise rodney, have taking note of all that
Old Jun 2, 2006, 5:32 AM   #7

This is also a lovely shot

as rodney has mentioned your portriat skills have developed so fast. Its great. This shot is nicely executed

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2006, 8:17 AM   #8

Good comments all round.

Again I feel your aperture is slightly to large. You just need a tad more DOF to take in and properly appreciate the facial features.

Hair fringe and lips for me are out of focus. This image would benifit from these features being sharp.

Then again Rodneys edit looks better, mayby just needed the sharpening.
LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote