Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:06 PM   #1

Greetings all!

It has been very rainy here for the past 2 days, stormy / rainy weather. It cleared late this afternoon, so I went out with my Canon 350D to a nearby nature area, armed with my *newest* lens, theCanon 100-300mm hoping to catch some birds with it. Although I HEARD plenty of them, unfortunately it seems they decided to hide from me (and then the thought came to me... "it's the EARLY bird that catches...." anyway.

However I made some interesting shots nevertheless, and one of them was this spider (and its web) I almost ran into. I tried to focus, but it was too dark and small to work, so I resorted to manual focus and exposing with the flash (otherwise the spider and especially the web disappeared as the background was lighter!)

It took a few tries, but eventually I came up with this photo which I was rather happy with!! (especially when I viewed it on my home computer). This was taken with the KIT lens (Canon 18-55mm) and I am quite happy with the macro possibilities seeing as it's a basic / cheap kit lens!

Please tell me your thoughts / comments, and specifically any techniques I could do to try to improve or for a next try!!

All the best,

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:07 PM   #2

And here is a closer crop of the same photo.... what do you think of this one?

Paul
Attached Images

Old Jun 3, 2006, 10:44 PM   #3

tough choice but I think I like the first one better.

if you were printing an 8x10 it would make sense to print the first one, but if you were only printing a 4x6, then print the second one.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 12:36 AM   #4

Thanks Terry, for your helpful thoughts.

I agree with you about the printing, that makes sense... to show the spider large enough in a 4in x 6in (10cm x 15cm) photo, to use the closer up version.

Actually I don't print many of my photos, most of them I keep and display in digital format (screens, data projectors, slide-shows, etc). I would say out of the photos I take (over 20,000 per year, many of camps and activities in the charity events I'm involved with here in Romania) less than 1% get printed!

Still, I'm glad that with digital technology how it is, it's so easy to share / send pictures by email, burning a CD etc!

Thanks again. Hope you liked the spider, but aren't arachnaphobic! :G

Paul