Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 3, 2006, 5:49 PM   #1

comments, constructive critics welcome!
Attached Images

urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2006, 9:28 PM   #2

It's a really nice shot.

The cropping feels just a bit tight though, according to my subjective humble opinion.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:37 AM   #3

The top of her hair is blownout and that detracts from the otherwise beautiful shot. Looks a bit soft which is not a bad thing.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 4:08 PM   #4

Just an absolute lovely girl, and the smile looks so nice on her.

I like the cropping of the image. However i don't like the brightness of the green corn stalks off to the right. Since it is brighter than the girl, my eyes get distracted to them.

Hope you don't mind but i did make a quick edit in Photoshop to lower the brightness of those plants, and posted the image to my reply

I used the Quickmask filter, and then adjusted the Levels of that side.

The diffused filter look to the girl is great.

-Travis-
NPPA Member
PPA Member
Attached Images

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 7:58 PM   #5

Travis-

Really like your edit. I think the toned down green looks much better! I used the midnight sepia action in photoshop to achieve the diffused look. (credit to paula/pjporter for teaching me!)

-lynne

ps - My old college roommate was from IN, PA
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:29 PM   #6

a very nice shot

love the colours in this shot. Composition is maybea lil lop sided but i think this can be easily fixec with a lil more cropped off.

very nice work

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2006, 9:44 PM   #7

Hello Lynne,

This is a nice attempt, but you really should reshoot and put a little more thought into taking the shot. All the fancy editing will not make this a great shot. We all have to start somewhere and let's make this the starting point for you.

You started out with a terrible lighting situation. Looks like a bright and sunny mid day shot in an area with lots of green foliage around. Lots of green foliage = green color cast. If you must shoot around lots of green foliage and cannot do a custom white blance, then pop up the flash for some fill and that should clean it up. Instead of mid day, try some shots in the early morning hours or late evening.

Always look at the background before you shoot. Is there hot and dark spots behind your subject? This shot would have worked out great if all the background elements were hot because your subject is wearing white. All elements would have been keyed high.

I rarely like to see lots of space behind the subject as you have framed here. If the extra space were leading her, it would have looked nicer.

I look forward to your next attempt.

Rodney

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 3:27 AM   #8

"This shot would have worked out great if all the background elements were hot because your subject is wearing white. All elements would have been keyed high."

Hi Rodney - I find your comments useful & interesting. But could you explain what you mean by "hot" background elements? Do you mean bright, or colourful or something else??

Thanks
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:01 AM   #9

Rodney-

I really appreciate your thoughtful and detailed critique. This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Like you said I need to start somewhere and this gives me a concrete example of what to keep in mind when planning shots. Won't make the same mistake again of leaving my flash in the car when we went on this impromptu hike thru the woods. But my onboard would have helped if nothing else.

I'd appreciate some elaborationre: "This shot would have worked out great if all the background elements were hot because your subject is wearing white. All elements would have been keyed high." I understand your idea of an end result, not quite sure how I could have gotten there.

You also make a valid point on the composition. I really liked the colors on theright side opposed to the leftwhich dictated my crop...and ignoring the visual comm rule that the eye moves from northwest to southeast.

thanks again and hope to put your suggestions to proper use!
Old Jun 5, 2006, 2:22 PM   #10

Hello Lyne,

Anything bright or a light color would have made a nice background with white clothing. A sandy beach is an outdoor scene where most of the surroundings are bright. Green foliage is often too dark, but that too can work when the lighting is in your favor.

Set flash compensation to -2ev or -3ev when you use your flash with the intent to clean up the white balance.

The eyes are attracted to areas of most contrast so the NE to SE rule does not lead the viewer for this image. I am providing an edit for you to see the areas of high contrast. The viewer is pulled to these high contrast areas that do not lead to the Center of Interest. Here, the face and eyes should be where you want to lead the viewer.

Thanks for sharing and good luck on the next attempt.

Rodney

Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote