Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 4, 2006, 8:11 AM   #1

Hi guys, caught this picture of Prince Pier, which was abandoned for some reason.
I'd like to know what you would do to improve it from a black and white point of view. Here, I've followed Scott Kelby's technique for a High contrast BW conversion using gradient map, followed by alteration to the channel mixer...
Attached Images

crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2006, 10:42 PM   #2

i quite like this shot

i think its a shame that there is minimal detail in the foreground due to the levels. I think maybe try a tighter crop nd maybe eliminate the bottom part of the shot to make it seem less significant.

i do like the contrasty conversion and i thnk it suits this shot perfectly. the addtional grain to the shot also compliments this shot.

nice work

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:16 AM   #3

actually thinking back, i think my whole reason for including more of the foreground was to give the picture the feeling of space...
Old Jun 5, 2006, 10:27 AM   #4

but thanks for the comments..I'll keep it in mind=)
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:58 PM   #5

Overall it is a nice image. I'd go back and rework this image and attempt to get a tad more detail at the bottom of the image. Provide just enough detail to keep the viewer's eyes interested. I believe with a little work you can allow more detail to pull through while maintaining areas of true black.

You have way too much sky. As is, the viewer is sucked straight up to the top with nothing to lead the viewer to interesting elements of the composition. I feel less sky will provide a more effective rendering.

The sky that shows through the clouds in the left of the frame is too large and becomes a major attention getter(distraction) clone it out or tone it down slightly to provide the most overall impact.

The image is underexposed though this could be due to the conversion technique you used. The viewer will strain to see detail which makes this a poor rendering.

Below is a edit that I feel makes a more effective image. Starting with your original you should come up with a much more pleasing picture.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 4:41 AM   #6

Thanks for sharing rodney, I'm sure you're speaking from a much more experienced point of view...

At first glance, I quite much prefer you're rendering on the pictures overall brightness/contrast which is especially noticeable on the abandoned house.
The bright patch on the sky just went by me as well, thanks for picking it up..

I am however a bit undecided on the approach you used in composing/cropping the image. The recomposition that you have used has placed the abandoned house smack in the middle. And that aside, there really isn't much interesting detail in the foreground, background or even the house itself. Come to think of it now, I think what attracted me to this building was the emptiness that surrounded this building.
I feel the uneven composition between sky and land creates a somewhat more interesting picture, and attracts more attention by being bold?
But I'm sure everyone has their own personal taste..thanks for sharing rodney!

Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:16 AM   #7

thanks for the critique of the composition rodney, here's my attempt at redering a more effective image...

Jules
Attached Images