Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 5, 2006, 9:35 AM   #1

G'day guys,

thought I would post up some thumbnail shots for you to all click on and view their larger sizes rather than the full images. Takes up less space that way.

Tell me what you think either here or comment on the pic when you click on it. Either way I am happy.

Ollie

PS: Here is a link instead. Too much messing around for the thumbnails. Sorry.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5010376...7594156301416/
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2006, 1:12 PM   #2

G'day!
How do you capture the movement so well? Do you pan?
Could you ever get similar results from a crappy Nikon Coolpix 880? What sort of settings do you suggest??

Sorry if that's too many questions, but I'm keen to learn more.
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:17 PM   #3

G'day speedy,

I am not entirely clued in on all the other camera's. Especially any point and shoot style ones. And there is still a huge amount to learn about DSLR's, of which I have. All the shots in that series are done using Appeture Priority mode on the camera. It was a really nice sunny day(albiet a little windy) and yes most were taken with a little amount of panning so to speak.
If it wasn't for the brightness of the day I might not have got the shots. If you look at a pic, click on the link to the right that says "more properties" and that will give you my shutter speed and other information as well.

Hope I have helped. The only thing I can say is whether or not your camera can or can't take this kind of shot, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be able too, is to just experiment and even if you think the shot might come out bad take it anyway, cause you will surprise yourself at times.

Ollie
Old Jun 5, 2006, 6:19 PM   #4

Great shots, Ollie. I think you went a little over the top on the blue, however. Did you adjust the color balance?

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2006, 11:52 PM   #5

Thanks Rodney. Actually no I didn't and that was one of the weirdest things. I was out on a dock so there was water on three sides of me and it was quite sunny. The only thing I could really do is play with the raws again I guess and make the shots a little less cool. But yeah I don't mind the blue. Blue skies blue water it was a great day.

Ollie
Old Jun 6, 2006, 1:10 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice Ollie. The pic properties info could be useful too.

We live near the sea & there's plenty local wildlife so I'm looking forward to having a go. I think seagulls are a good subject because they're not scared of you & I don't have a zoom lens to capture anything at a distance!
speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:20 AM   #7

Nice sharp shots Ollie. Anyone would think it was summer in Hobart. It's like this every day in winter, isn't it ;-)

It would be interesting to see the sky colour without a polariser on, just as a comparison. But I suppose that's not really possible now.

I'm also interested to know if you used manual or auto focus on these shots. I find focussing is always the hardest thing with fast moving subjects.

Cheers,
Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:40 AM   #8

Ollie the shot of the bird coming into land is incredible

love the shot. blue is so tranquil. Love it

only thing i can critique is maybe ever so slightly whitening the bird. There seems to be a lil blue colour casting carrying over onto the birds body which is slightly dampening that contrast between the bird and the sky

like i said

incredible shot

OHHH BTW

was this taken with a polarising filter???

I have just bought one and wouldnt mind some input on how it was used (if it was) in this situation.

Cheers

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:54 AM   #9

G'day all,

ok to answer a few questions.

Focus- was done with auto focus but, in an attempt to make sure I was generally in focus I would aim at a spot that was roughly the same distance away and hold down the button halfway and as soon as the birds took off snap. Took a few tries but I got most of the shots that way. I could have used manual and set it to infinity but I didn't.

Polariser: yes one was used and turned to a setting that gave the sky its blue. The same setting that gets rid of UV flare off of water and other reflective surfaces.

Blue on the birds. Yeah I am starting to find out things about the shots myself actually. Things like that when I turned it on to apeture priority I forgot to check the iso settings and colour settings. And from what I can tell the ISO was at 1600 which is HUGE for outside sunny days and just crazy, and the colour settings were set to a slightly cooler settings. Hence the way they came out. I might take more at a later date with different settings.

I do have the original images in raw, so I can just redo them again and change the temprature a bit.

Ollie
Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:54 AM   #10

I like the shot caled "Bailed Up"
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote