Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 5, 2006, 8:46 PM   #1

OK, well, i still am kindof getting used to the new digital camera. Its an olympus sp-500 uz, so, not the fancy kid on the block. But heres a question, how could I have gotten a little more of the background in this shot to come out?

Picture was taken with a tripod, at iso 80 (very cloudy day), apture 3.5, 1/80 exposure and very close to subject.

Side note here, most little insects dont care for the up-close and personal photos any advice on how to over come this?! Bigger zoom lens?? Or another trick?

Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 12:59 AM   #2

The fact that you got so close in the first place is an achievment in my eyes. If it were possible at the time an slight decrease in DOF to allow the wings to be in focus as well would have been better. I believe, and others will correct me if I am wrong, but a higher fstop of say 4.5 or so(depending on lens) would have brought that out. And/or slightly longer shutter. But from what I know it is your apeture that needs to be changed. But looking at the shot not by much at all.

Hope this help.

Great shot you have there too, good work.

Ollie

Note: I just noticed also you said more of the background. I really don't think that unless you mean the stalk that the bug is on, that you need more of the background in focus. Remember the higher the apeture eg f11 f22 etc, the less DOF and the less DOF the less the subject is the main attraction. But then again maybe the whole scene for you was the attraction and not just the bug.
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:33 AM   #3

I am totally with Ollie77 on this one. The colours are great and most of the bug is in perfect focus. You just needed a tiny bit more DoF (via a little bit narrower apeture) to get the rest of the bug in focus. The blurred background adds to the bug being the central point of the photo. I don't think you need more of the background in focus.

Cheers,
the other Ollie
Ollie@Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:37 AM   #4

an excellent shot

great colours and so sharp

such a shame about the dof being bit too shallow. yea as guys sugested increase fstop#

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 6:37 AM   #5

an excellent shot

great colours and so sharp

such a shame about the dof being bit too shallow. yea as guys sugested increase fstop#

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:15 AM   #6

Thank you for the advice and comments.

If I recall, when I increased the fstops, the shutter speed wanted to slow down even futher then the 1/80 it was. Or thats going just by the 'red' colored setting I was seeing. Wouldnt that have made my picture come out even more blurry? I also always assume, if the setting was in a 'red' color that ment the picture quality would come out bad. And I wrong there in assuming as well?

I was afraid of this little guy flying away on me and since I was using a tripod, I didnt have the best mobility to chase this guy down.

BTW: That one stalk, I managed to get 5 insect shots off of, and 3 of the 5 were different bugs. Guess that was the lucky stalk.
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 7:45 AM   #7

G'day,

lucky indeed to get that many shots from just the one stalk. And as you say you were using a tripod and I assume some form of shutter release. If that were the case the slower shutter speed shouldn't have been an issue really. Of course you could try out different ISO settings as well in case you couldn't get enough light in.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2006, 11:23 AM   #8

I like the shot the way it is. The fact that the background is blurry and the insect is focused is the salt and pepper of this shot. Well done!
akebono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 9:32 PM   #9

Quote:
If I recall, when I increased the fstops, the shutter speed wanted to slow down even futher then the 1/80 it was. Or thats going just by the 'red' colored setting I was seeing. Wouldnt that have made my picture come out even more blurry? I also always assume, if the setting was in a 'red' color that ment the picture quality would come out bad. And I wrong there in assuming as well?

Correct, when you increased the f-stop, you are making the aperture smaller which allows for more DOF. However, the downside to this, is that less light can make it to the sensor, so the shutter speed will slow down. Since you said you were using a tripod, this shouldn't affect the shot at all. If you have a cable release for the camera, this will help as well.

Just like Ollie said, try playing around with different ISO settings, the higher the ISO the faster you can make the shutter speed.
For example:
Lets say at ISO 100 at f/8 you get a shutter speed of 1/80th second
If you increase the ISO to 200 at f/8 you may get a shutter speed of 1/160th
OR
At ISO 200, you can increase the aperture to f/11 and still maintain the shutter speed of 1/80th

The downside to increasing the ISO is that more Digital Noise will be added to the photo, so when taking a picture, always think, which is more important Quality of an image, or the sharpness of it.

There are software products out there that will remove digital noise to some degree, such as NeatImage, but using the tools, will sometimes reduce the sharpness of the picture as well.

-Travis-
NPPA Member
PPA Member
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote