Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 6, 2006, 8:13 PM   #1

No setup, just trying to capture a moment at my son's baseball game. I know the person in the background is a bit of a distraction. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2006, 9:27 PM   #2

Nice shot... Assuming that is your son - he looks very much like you (only much more photogenic!)

Other than that great DOF + great smile - looks like he is about to fire in a curve ball over the plate... Orange shirt looks a little "grainy" or too sharp.

Otherwise, a keeper.
joeybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:04 AM   #3

i like it

geat natural pose, nice lighting, great dof and the person in backing can be easily cloned out

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 1:14 AM   #4

G'day,

yup speaking of cloning out stuff and all that PS fun stuff. Here is an edit for you.

Hope you don't mind.

Played a little with levels, contrast and sharpness.

Ollie

Attached Images

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:01 AM   #5

Looks good. You can clone out the background person and crop it a tad more to take out some of his back because it ads nothing to the composition. Brighten him up a bit more too.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 2:49 AM   #6

G'day

I don't mind you have done there Rodney, however I think it is a little washed out now. And I was comparing both your edit and mine and thinking that a compromise between the two would be good.

As for my crop well I didn't of course. I didn't want to change that. Not because I thought it didn't need it but because I figured I would leave that up to the owner themselves. Either way yours is fine so no arguments there of course.

And I should also mention that I did actually want to enhance the lads tan and his dark features.

Ollie
Old Jun 7, 2006, 6:43 AM   #7

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
G'day

I don't mind you have done there Rodney, however I think it is a little washed out now. And I was comparing both your edit and mine and thinking that a compromise between the two would be good.

Ollie
Hello Ollie,

My objective is to draw the viewer to the subjects' eyes. The dark bottom portion of the background is a distraction because of the contrast with the sky. Washing out the background gives it a more even appearance and eliminates a distraction. The viewer is now drawn to the face with no distraction.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:07 AM   #8

G'day

Ahh I get you Rodney. So alas I redid my shot again with a tighter crop and levels change. Also some softening in places and line reduction on the boys face.

rjseeney, hope you like the result of all of the crops and edit. Good looking kid you have there.

Ollie
Attached Images

Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:11 AM   #9

I like and see how the cropping creates a more effective image, would the brightness of the background now be a competing factor with the subjects eyes? jst a thought...
crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:18 AM   #10

G'day,

Well for me I don't believe so. As the boys eyes aren't bright and white but are bright and happy.

I had to resend mine edit though again with the now changed border and framing. It tended to wash out the shot a bit too much for my liking with the plane white framing. So I added thin black inside border and a soft glow to the framing.

Ollie