Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:08 PM   #1

I just got myself a Fuji s5200.I took theeseoutside my work place.Theese are my first close up shots ever. What can I do to improve? I just dont know what I'm looking for when analyzing the picture.

Thanks in advance.

Settings were ; ISO 64, Aperture F 3.6, Shutter 1/100

Attached Images

Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 7, 2006, 8:12 PM   #2

This one was taken with the aperture at f4 and the shutter at 1/60. The ISO remained the same at 64.

Thank you.

Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:52 AM   #3

I would pay some attention to composition. A tighter crop on the flower woul be very effective. Also try shooting at a higher ISO, as the image will then appear less grainy. I acccept that the shot may have been taken on a dull day but if your outside any issue with regartd light can normally addressed through aperture and shutter speed settings.

Nice flower btw!
longside1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:17 AM   #4
Baz

Quote:

"Also try shooting at a higher ISO, as the image will then appear less grainy. "

Really ? I think it works the other way. i.e a higher ISO can appear MORE grainy.

Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:51 PM   #5

Yup higher ISO will be more noisy if your not careful.

As for this shot it is a little dark and underexposed. The subject is smothered and lost in the background and I suggest a closer crop and watch what is in the background of your shots when you take the pic. As it can have vast affects on the outcome of an image. Especially one that is planned and not just some candid.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:39 PM   #6

longside1 wrote:
Quote:
A tighter crop on the flower woul be very effective.

I didnt think about that. Thanks I'll try it on the next one.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:40 PM   #7

Baz wrote:
Quote:
a higher ISO can appear MORE grainy.

Thats what I thought.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:51 PM   #8

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
Yup higher ISO will be more noisy if your not careful.

As for this shot it is a little dark and underexposed. The subject is smothered and lost in the background and I suggest a closer crop and watch what is in the background of your shots when you take the pic. As it can have vast affects on the outcome of an image. Especially one that is planned and not just some candid.

Ollie
The shot wasnt planned. I took the pic a few minutes after UPS delivered me the camera at my work place. I just went behind the building where I work and took the picture of this "wild" flower. I just couldnt wait to try the macro mode on the camera. I felt like a kid on Christmas day.

Thanks Ollie for your input. I'll watch my backgrounds and work on the "cropping" of the shots.

Thanks again.

Kaspian

Old Jun 12, 2006, 5:47 PM   #9

Well I meant that this kind of shot can be planned. The subject isn't really going anywhere.

And it is nice to see such enthusiasm. I was the same with my D50, took 200shots in the first hour. hehe.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:35 PM   #10

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
And it is nice to see such enthusiasm. I was the same with my D50, took 200shots in the first hour. hehe.

Ollie
200 shots, LOL. I didn't take that many when I received the camera, but I think I was close. I was taking pictures of everything at work; desk area, books, buckets, paper clips, shelves, even a small dead spider that I found in a corner, LOL. I couldn't help myself. The camera I had before this one was a 1 mp (yes, thats no typo, a 1mp, LOL). And although I just got thiss5200, (and I'm extremely pleased with it)I'm already looking around for my next camera :-):lol: