Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:19 PM   #1

Okay guys, I just took my first shot at Photography with my dads Canon Powershot S100 (2 MP and 2x Zoom)... I took some decent landscape shots but my close ups were pretty lacking... The picture below is an example of such, the center is all blurred although the borders are crystal clear... what am I doing wrong?
Attached Images

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 8, 2006, 6:49 PM   #2

The first thing you need to realize is that every lens has a limit to how close an object can be for the camera to still be able to focus on it. With most camera, if you zoom in this distance usually grows farther, and also on most camera, you get the best close-ups with the zoom all the way out. You may have to experiment to find the limits of your camera.

If the object you want to focus on is not too close, then it's up to your camera settings to determine what is in focus. If the flower you were trying to focus on was not too close to the camera, then my guess would be that your camera is set to area focus rather than spot focus, and therefore it attempts to get as much area in focus as possible. Spot focus tells the camera to focus on whatever is in the center of the viewfinder, or on some cameras, to focus on a point determined by you.

Most cameras also have a macro mode. By default, most cameras tend to auto focus farther away. Macro mode tells it to focus closer.

Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 8:59 PM   #3

Thank you very much, I think my problem was being too close, I had my camera zoomed as much as possible (2 times) and then I was almost touching that flower, that probably had something to do with it.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:21 PM   #4
Administrator

You probably had focus locked on the background.

The closest focus distance is around 4 inches in macro mode (flower icon) at the widest zoom position (least apparent magnification), and around 12 inches at the longest zoom position (most apparent magnification).

Chances are, you just focused on the background. Make sure your subject is in the center of the frame with your model. Then, half press the shutter button until focus locks, and while holding down the shutter button half way, reframe as desired, then press it the rest of the way down.

Even though it's not as good as some cameras, tt's capable of some pretty nice closeups for an older model of it's type. This one was taken at the wide angle lens position in macro mode with an S100:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/s100/...s/IMG_7234.JPG

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:33 PM   #5

Wow I love this place, somebody replied within an hour who had the same model as me... awesome

Anyways, this is just a temporary camera (until I can hunt down my own I'm using my dads) so I'm not too interested in learning the inner workings, but I appreciate the help
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:39 PM   #6
Administrator

Morag2 wrote:
Quote:
Anyways, this is just a temporary camera (until I can hunt down my own I'm using my dads) so I'm not too interested in learning the inner workings, but I appreciate the help
I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to try and upgrade. It's a fine little camera, and at typical viewing and print sizes, 2 Megapixels is plenty. If I were you, I'd try to talk your dad out of it, versus buying a newer model.

Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:46 PM   #7

I appreciate the money saving suggestion but I'm afraid that I need my own new camera. This will sound crazy but I very rarely find something I really want to try and to really make this photography thing mine, I need my own brand new camera. Teenage impulse buying perhaps, but there it is.:|

If it's any consolation, the S100 has convinced my to stick with Canon if possible.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 9:50 PM   #8
Administrator

Suit yourself. I'm just trying to point out that newer (and higher megapixels) is not necessarily better.
Old Jun 8, 2006, 11:18 PM   #9

If you think you're serious about photography, I suggest you check out the Panasonic FZ30. It's the camera I have, and right now it's probably the best camera you can get that has all the functionality (and then some) of a professional camera without the cost and hassle.

I use a Canon DSLR at work, and though it produces higher quality images than my FZ30, it's not even close when it comes to functionality and ease of use. The FZ30 also has add-on lenses availabe for extended telephoto, wide angle, and of course, macro.

Basically, if you learn all the ins and outs of photography using this camera, you'll either be completely ready to move up to something more professional, or, if you don't think you want to pursue photography, you'll at least have a camera that you'll never want to replace.

Here's a few samples I took recently:

The first two are closeups. The third is just a shot a flower my sister just planted. The last is a frog in a swamp. That last photo I was only able to get because the camera has a huge 12x zoom, and then I had to crop very close, which is why 8 megapixel comes in real handy. I know Jim says 2mp is enough, but if my camera was 2mp, that frog would only been half that image size.

Anyway, there are lots of good cameras out there that are quite affordable, so good luck shopping.
Corpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:06 AM   #10

Corpsy,

The Panasonic FZ30 seems like a great camera.. (12X Zoom... wow)... but it is a tad out of my price range and being 15, I can't stretch much, it's more of a "I have this much money and no more" kind of thing...

However, I'm going to right that down as a possible future upgrade, although by the time I upgrade I'm sure there will be something better, electronics are like that:P

I think I"m going to buy a Canon PowerShot A530, it seems like a nice camera with all the necessary basic functions.

Thanks for all the tips.