Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 9, 2006, 8:09 AM   #1

Hmmmmm... It's one of those pictures I'm not sure I like. I'm wondering if it would dothe geometry more justice in black and white. I think it might have been a stronger image with more depth but then I wouldn't have gotten the window affect.... I'm just not sure.

Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2006, 1:05 PM   #2

Hello Jane....
Hummmmmmmmm.....This shot has been done a gazillion times by me and every other
photog out there that got to the beach...I have tried it like you shot it and gotten in the middle of a pier and shot out to sea, so to speak and no matter what you do, it's just not a "wow" shot...The only way I got an almost wow shot is to have a wave breaking
against one of the pilings with splashes lit up by a setting sun...o yea....that happens every day...ha!! In my case a rising sun...East coast thing, ya know...But the point, its hard to get an under the pier shot that will get into the wow catagory...even in b/w....
Dont stop trying though...:?
john
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2006, 9:35 PM   #3

Of course you do not like it and neither do I. There is nothing visually effective about it. The brightest elements in this composition are the water and sky beyond the pier and that is where the viewer's eyes will drawn. The pier is only an obstacle.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:02 AM   #4

Jane

I don't think it that bad at all.

In fact the the rather imposing and dark bridge provide in interesting contrast to the bright beach. It does draw you in to the scene. The pattern of blue is also quite nice.

Ok so its not perfect - not having a strong point of interest, but its alot better than soft ducks in the middle of the frame maybe :blah:

You could slightly improve the shot Jane if you use the perspective crop tool to straighten the bridge vertical on the right side.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:57 PM   #5

That bothered me too, L Boy... I still like it. It's not perfect but I still like it for some reason. I might try fixing that pillar and printing it out to see what I think. It's a long drive to the coast but I had thought this shot might actually might work better in the evening right before sundown. I don't know... it's one of those spots you really need to look at in different lighting. It might be fun to sit there the whole day and just capture the light at different times. If you don't get any decent pictures, you still get some sun and peace and quiet.

I'm not interested in publishing anything. It doesn't have to be perfect... it's personal.
Plain Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:31 PM   #6

Jane,

You posted a similar image on another forum that has more possibilities than this one. I edited your original and here is what I come up with....
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:34 PM   #7

Here is the original...
Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:38 PM   #8

It is difficult to say without actually seeing the results, but I think this shot would have benefitted by a slightly lower camera position and assuming the sun sets on the right side of the frame, I would attemt the same shot later in the day.

Since your post, I have looked at dozens of under the pier shots and this one stands up pretty well to most that I have seen.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney