Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 11, 2006, 4:34 PM   #1

Shot this one on the lake in evening sun.
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2006, 9:46 PM   #2

Wow! I really love the colors in that picture. Nice job.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 4:11 AM   #3

At least its sharp this time. Lighting at this time of day is appealing. But thats all there is for me here. No real originality. Average presentation.

Good if your task is to catch a photo of a duck for a school book. Otherwise it dont score for me in any way really.

I know you appreciate the straight talkers.... so
Keep working on it outside the studio Rod...

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:52 AM   #4

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
At least its sharp this time. Lighting at this time of day is appealing. But thats all there is for me here. No real originality. Average presentation.

Good if your task is to catch a photo of a duck for a school book. Otherwise it dont score for me in any way really.

I know you appreciate the straight talkers.... so
Keep working on it outside the studio Rod...
Indeed I appreciate the straight talkers if they can provide suggestions for improvements or techniques helpful to better catch an image. You failed to provide anything helpful.

I was at the lake shooting a family portrait($500 for the hour) and decided to take a couple quick shots of the ducks with my portrait gear which is less than ideal for landscapes and wildlife. It isn't likely I'll dedicate much time to images that don't have people in it because I'm not getting paid to shoot ducks. It is nice to know what can be done to improve the shot for future reference, however.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

You only appreciate the straight talkers if they can provide improvement ?

Doesn't make sense as its simply not always the case that improvement can be added.

Well after all its a duck in a pond.

I don't think there is any advice that will help this shot. Simple as that. You need to take another if you are making a serious attempt to interest a viewer. I find itvery ordinary and that is critique in itself, certainly nothing personal. If 10 others come here and say its exceptional, my opinion wont necessarily be wrong. Though I doubt that. Being told a shot is boring and fairly uninteresting is very useful advice, had you been keen to move forward with this kind of photography. It depends on how you see things.

Read between the lines. The best advice to be given would be to add a little imagination to your photography. I cant do that for you no matter what Iwrite in advice.

What do you want to hear from the million or so possibilities that may enter another photographers head in terms of imagination, composition and presentation? Seeing as you've indicated your lack of enthusiasm for anything other than a paid photo shoot it would be a waste of time rather ?.

If I am judging this photograph in terms of originality and composition. For me it fails. Your past the point of being told when a shot is properly exposed or correctly sharpened I hope ? So in this instance, there is not much more to add, is there.

Take care.

Ps.. did the duck have a spare 500 too? :?

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:44 AM   #6

A couple of examples maybe.... Boring or different ... ? I don't know, I can only gauge on my instincts and what others tell me!

Both below shot with 100mm portrait lens. All models worked for nothing ! :blah:

(well not exactly true - was 70-200 at 70mm on this instance a Canon 20D so 112mm) anyway basically the same thing.

Pond life 1

Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2006, 9:45 AM   #7

Pond life 2

Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:16 AM   #8

pond life 3

I'll put a border on this one and repost as it will probably help the presentation a bit. Was only posted as example of macro possibilities in and around the pond.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 10:20 AM   #9

pond life 4

Attached Images

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:31 PM   #10

What did you do?
Did you cut and paste them?
I have trouble nailing them single and stationary.
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/61677798/large
And you have both in flight and both were in focus?
Congrat. Amazing feat.

Daniel

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
pond life 3
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote