Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 12, 2006, 12:28 AM   #1

Comments welcome.
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2006, 3:07 AM   #2

being straight, I think its poor. Soft and the bottom line Rodney, extremely boring.

Only my personal opinion on the subject and composition.

Your matt choice is cliched and ..... not nice.

Good to see a divergence from your usual. Keep trying... still this is nothing beyond anamateurlevel.. sorry.

LBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 6:14 AM   #3

A little blurry...I like your other one better.
Nizidramanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:30 AM   #4

LBoy wrote:
Quote:
being straight, I think its poor. Soft and the bottom line Rodney, extremely boring.

Only my personal opinion on the subject and composition.

Your matt choice is cliched and ..... not nice.

Good to see a divergence from your usual. Keep trying... still this is nothing beyond anamateurlevel.. sorry.

Indeed it is amateur level. I've shot 1 bird, 2 ducks, a dozen flowers and 2 landscapes during the last 5 years.

Rodney
Old Jun 12, 2006, 7:35 AM   #5

Nizidramanii wrote:
Quote:
A little blurry...I like your other one better.
Oops, I missed that when I uploaded the image. I have in camera sharpening turned off and always run an USM layer after I have sized it for use. I forgot do that here. I replaced the original image with the finished one so it isn't as blurry, though not lots of detail on the duck.

Thanks for the comments.

Rodney
Old Jun 12, 2006, 8:38 AM   #6

I'm a bit harsh because you have shown yourself to be an exceptional photographer, although just a tad limited to subject matter. Also your quite direct in terms of what you like. Me too.

:blah:
Old Jun 12, 2006, 2:46 PM   #7

On noting this shot and the other shot Rodney, I am quite surprised at your sudden fooray into wildlife photography. And yes I am going to have to agree that both shots are quite boring. The other shot does have more merrit due to the colouring and lighting, but lacks severely in composition and subject.
Not saying that you can't take a nice pic of a duck, albeit though they are better shot for my personal liking together with other ducks in a more innocent looking composition. If that makes sense.
Also feel that this shot should have had the duck either more central or a tighter crop because regardless of the rule of third you have waves coming out from the duck and I think they should be pulling the viewer in towards the centre to the main subject.
Anyway I do realise both shots were taken quickly and my last bit of advice would be to use your skill, not like you don't have any, and I would have thought that you could see a good shot even in a duck or pond scene. So I have to ask why post them up at all? Unless your eye is really not as discerning when it comes to shots out of the studio/portrait arena, in which case good to see you doing something different.

I put a pic of a duck up once, and I well didn't even like it myself and I even have on in my gallery at another site, which I don't like. Must be something about ducks. Rabbits are cooler that's it.

Take it easy...

Ollie

won't comment on Lboy's pics as they aren't exactly helping the situation all that much in my eye, as much as they are nice and well shot(that wasn't an issue), I just feel it is up to Rodney to decide if he even wants to pursue this field of photography at all.
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 12:43 AM   #8

Hey Rodney

Yea i would have to say when i look at it the word harsh comes to mind. Im not sure about the comp in this shot either.

Maybe placment in the left 3rd and maybe a bit lower angle. Dunno

Nice presentation

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2006, 3:11 AM   #9

Ollie,

The photos posted are not to hinder. I was told my critique was of no value. I disagree. The most valuable critique I receive from anyone is their initial gut feel. I don't like it... or ... I like it.... and whether they find the shot interesting and original. Do they want to look at it again and again. This repeatability, indeed the pleasure of looking at a single frame image is what it is all about. That is Photography and that is where a large majority of the skill lies. Not just in the technical side of getting an object properly exposed and in focus.

Again I was told my critique was valueless as I never gave example as to how to improve the original shot. This is incorrect judgment of critique.

Anyway all I had left to do in order to show my point, that being the interest quality of an image, was to post some examples. Anyway I'm sure whatI was saying was exactly understood.

You really need to have a stiff neck to be a photographer. I have had more negative critique than positive over my time and it has all helped. One of the reasons why many have left here is because the can not take critique as it is intended. ie without the suger on top.

Old Jun 13, 2006, 7:17 PM   #10

I like your other duck picture better. I think because the colors on the other duck were more "eye catching."

Kaspian
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote