Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:49 AM   #1

G'day all,

took these all this morning and processed them into B&W shots. Tell me what you think of them as any comments and critiques are always welcome.
Any questions feel free to ask.

Ollie

Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:07 AM   #2

Wow, beautiful shots. The first two, in particular, are wall hanging or postcard material.

I noticed a small smudge in the sky of the third one, one tiny blemish, in an otherwise perfect image.

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:54 AM   #3

nice shots mate

i like 2 and 3

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 7:26 AM   #4

Thanks guys...

anyone else like to critique tell me if there is anything wrong with them in respect of B&W shots.

That blemish is now gone. Err on my shot on my pc that is. But thanks for pointing out that for me. Hadn't even noticed it myself. I didn't get around to doing much touch up work at all on them.

Ollie
Old Jun 15, 2006, 3:52 PM   #5

G'day Ollie!

Very cool set of B&W pictures. Thanks for sharing. They have character and sort of a historical charm feeling.

Your sub-title caught my attention, as I think you'll remember I'm originally from Tasmania too. (and both my brothers live just a few kilometres down from these shots in Kingston).

About actual critiques, it might be a personal / subjective thing, but I think the crop in the 1st photo (along the sun line / reflection) isn't so good. Photo 2 is a stonger image IMHO.

I like both rail photos, I can imagine it was hard to balance sky and other darker parts, yet not "overexposing" on the white rails. Maybe that's why B&W might be suited better to these types of photos.

If you could post them a bit bigger they might look better (but of course not TOO big). I think a 600 x 800 (or 600 x 900) photo is generally acceptable.

Thanks again for letting me see "old Tassie".

Paul

PS Oh, yes... a quick extra note. I have the feeling that these photos are not entirely straight, that is I feel that the 2 first photos the horizon isn't level, dipping down on the right hand side. Maybe you can check in the larger photos for this...

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 5:53 PM   #6

Great shots Ollie! I really likeshots #1 and #2 the most. Although, I wish the first shot showed more of the sun and its reflection on the water. Shot #2 is just a keeper!!!! Once again good job!

Kaspian
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 11:57 PM   #7

G'day,

ok firstly thanks for the replies and comment, always welcome. Now to a few minor points to sort out.

Firstly hello Paul how have you been? The horizon is probably a dash leaning to the right, however from studying the picture some more I have realised also that the line along the pier seem to almost pull the shot in that direction as well. I do have more shots of the area that I can play with so I might see if I managed to do it slightly straighter, otherwise that is what you get. The other issue I had was the sun slipping in and out of clouds, so I was trying to get it just as the sun came out of a cloud or just as it was behind one as well so my concentration levels on well levels were preoccupied.

As for the second shot being cut off, it isn't. Well I mean I didn't crop the sun out. Might see if I did take one with the sun in there as well, but I think I thought it was too harsh and very very bright to be able to capture the pier well enough.

Anyway hope that covers everything. Oh yeah Paul, I live in Kingston as well. What a small world tis.

Ollie
Old Jun 16, 2006, 2:44 AM   #8

Just quickly I decided to add more to the set. So here are three more.
C&C welcome as usual.

Ollie

Old Jun 16, 2006, 7:09 AM   #9

Hi Ollie,
Some more great shots, well done.

I think that the large area of black on the right hand side of the first one lets it down. It just seems to cut the shot in two. The tree is fantastic, but my eye is constantly drawn to the null space.

The third could possibly be my favourite of the lot though. It has a window quality.

kefln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 9:18 AM   #10

Heya Ollie,
I second kelfn's opinion...the last show of the 2nd set has a very nice feel to it.
Like the way the eye is led from the lower right side into the picture through the bridge...then lets it explore the sails on the left...nice~ good work.

I thought the clouds of the first image (1st set) looked a bit over processed/a bit to sharp perhaps?...just me possibly...and the placement of the bright sun and bright area on the left a bit distracting...

JC

crosshair is offline   Reply With Quote