Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 18, 2006, 5:24 AM   #1

Hi,

Please can someone offer any advice on how I get the whole flower in focus? I assume it is something to do with DOF but maybe not!!

Thanks in advance

bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2006, 6:56 AM   #2

Hi Bl0at3r,

I am new to this myself but after reading and experimenting a bit, I would say a smaller aperture setting (higher f stop number) should do the trick - looks like you are using f2.8 try a higher number such as f8 or higher(this is actually letting less light into the camera) so you will need to slow the shutter speed accordingly....
staffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 7:13 AM   #3

It is hard to get the whole flower in focus and still get the bokeh that most people want with these type of picstures.Yes a higher Fstop will help with getting the whole flower in focus but you will loose the background blur.
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 9:49 AM   #4

G'day,

actually I tend to think your not zoomed in enough on the flower fullstop. I would try a portrait framed shot and up your fstop for around f8-9 or so. Maybe even try manual focusing on the flower.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 1:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the tips guys, i noticeall the macro pics i've taken are F2.8 too, which is what the camera selected.

I'll try again with a higher F stop by selecting A mode.

Much appreciated

Bloater
bl0at3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2006, 2:18 PM   #6

Upt o F5.6 you might able to get the flower in Focus and blurred background(if the background is not so close). F8 or higher will get not only your flower bul also the background very clear. That's why F8 or higher is being used in landscape mode. To get only the whole flower in focus, you can also use portrait mode. F3.5 or lower are for good for closeup mode. F2.8 or lower you will get only the part of the flower in focus (can also depends how far are you from the object).
Swedson is offline   Reply With Quote