Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:23 AM   #1

Hey all, I took this after a storm from a hill near my house, tell me what you think.

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:24 AM   #2

Sorry, picture didn't upload, here it is.
Attached Images

Old Jun 19, 2006, 9:00 PM   #3

Come on guys, critique me! This is my favourite photo that I've taken so far, I want other opinions.
Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:20 PM   #4

It has potential.

To me, as it is, it lacks that sense of drama that a good cloudscape should invoke.

I've seen another of your posts where you say that you are more interested in using your shots straight out of the camera than in doing any post processing. In one way this is good because it forces you to learn your camera better and develop solid capture technique.
In another way this is bad because it limits the tools at your disposal to get all that you can out of your pix.

I have taken shots that are fairly "ho hum" that I know I can improve in post processing that I never would have bothered taking if I were limited to out-of-camera results. In fact, I have shot specifically for post processing using the type of image that you just posted here! I know that I can't usually get a good cloudscape or sunset and have both the sky and ground properly exposed. So, I've shot a number of scenes (with a tripod) using multiple pix of the same scene exposing for the sky look that I want and the foreground look with the intention of combining the best of both pix in post processing to give a result that can't be duplicated with a single exposure.

Bro', if you start getting into editing, you'll find yourself shooting stuff that you wouldn't have tried before because you'll think of a certain tool or technique that you can use later to make it a keeper.

Try an experiment: post this shot in the Extreme Makeover section of theForum and ask people to do what they want to "punch it up" and you might start changing your mind about the value of a decent editing program!

Grant
granthagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:12 AM   #5

G'day,

everything that has been said above so far......didn't read it all......but the general gist of it all.

So critique oh yeah...ok I will do yours if you do mine.(aurora australis pic tell me what you think) sound fair?

Anyway on with it. I love clouds. I love stormy dark brooding clouds. And I love light fluffy whispy clouds. And each sort can have a different kind of emotional impact on a viewer. This shot unfortunatley, despite the cool colours and gloominess, doesn't have that effect. It needs more depth and more sharper punchier clouds. The land below needs to really contrast the clouds above and they have to look very ominous to have a greater impact on the view than they do now.
To put it another way for a shot like this I believe that you would want to look at it and say "thanks god I am not there waiting for that to burst open".

Another option for you would be to take two or three difference exposure shots and combine them into one nice HDR. That could work well. Or do some post processing with layers on this shot. If you shot it in RAW then you will have no trouble at all making a HDR in Photoshop that would really give this shot some character.

Hope this helps and post more shots. Clouds are cool in my books.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 12:57 PM   #6

Thank you all for the tips, I think I will try to darken the clouds up a little bit. As of the time being I don't have the money for Photoshop, but I am going to download a program called Photoplus which will hopefully allow me to tweak this shot a bit. I can definately see what you mean about the clouds looking a bit too much on the cute and fluffy side and not enough on the menacing evil in the sky side.

Well once I learn photoplus, I'll give some post-editing a try.