Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 19, 2006, 11:17 AM   #1

G'day all,

went for a wonder down to the docks today. Took this shot of the Aurora Australis Icebreaker that is in dock atm. Will post up another shot of it later that shows the entire ship.

Let me know what you think.

Ollie

I would make it bigger if I could figure out how too with html code.
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:00 PM   #2

Hi all,

any comments on the shot. Like, dislike, anything major that should or could have been done differently?

Ollie
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:50 PM   #3

Hi Ollie!
I have always had an understandable sympathy for Icebreakers! With this energatic colour this ship can even melt away the ice on her way. The blue ropes make a strikingly beautiful contrast to the strong orange.
I also liked the diagonal composition.
Hope to see the entire beauty, soon :-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 1:51 PM   #4

Well in accordance with the deal in my topic, I'm going to critique this shot (although as a newbie photographer, I'm not the best at it:-))

Well first off, I don't particularly like the angle it's shot at, I think that it should be a bit more straight on, although a bit of an angle still adds to the shot, just not so much tilt.

I really like the clouds in the top left of the shot, which is another reason the angle bugs me, I don't see quite as many of the clouds as I might like.

All in all, I find it a pretty hard shot to critique as it isn't the kind I generally shoot, but another thing I wouldn't mind seeing is a bit more of the water, and a bit less of those yellow buildings in the shot. I find the buildings somewhat distracting from the main part of the photo, while the water just sort of seems like it was meant to be there.

Hopefully that helped you some:-)
-Keilan

P.S. After reading bahadir's post, I noticed one other thing that I think would improve the shot, seeing a bit more of the boat would have (in my mind) improved the photo. I also noticed that my post seemed rather harsh, I DO like the shot, I'm just picking on small details (thats what critiquing is, no?)

Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:05 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Ok bit of explanation as to why the angle. Basically when you stand at the front of the ship it is fairly wide. And it dwarfs you, making you feel small. I basically wanted to get the viewer to feel small up against this great ship. And you should be feeling a guess. like it is about to fall down upon you.

As for the clouds, yeah I love clouds too but not many in the sky at the time actually looked as good as those when I took the shot. More puffy ones around. And the water/buildings, well it was in dock and the dock isn't right out on a point or anything so I didn't really have a choice about the background stuff.

Hope this helps in understanding the shot and what I was aiming for.

Ollie
Old Jun 20, 2006, 2:36 PM   #6

I really like what you've done with this, but some more size would be nice. Export it as a jpg, go to a site like http://www.imageshack.us , or use whatever uploader you prefer. Take thedirect URL (if it's not listed on the site just click on the picture, and use the URL in your browse). Then sandwich that URL between a [img] and a [/img] tag (include the brackets),
The Shrimp
Shrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 6:36 PM   #7

Well that makes sense, I suppose that some of those things are just beyond your control, and on second look, it DOES make me feel small up against it. I think this shot would have a bigger affect when it was a bit larger though (which you of course can't do on this website)
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 8:56 PM   #8

I like everything about it. I think the angle shot accentuates the sheer size of the ship.Also, there is something that I like about the lines and color coming from theropes toward the color and size of the ship. But to really WOW your audience you must display it at a bigger size. But you tried that, so, you knew that. Anyways, nice shot!
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2006, 10:23 PM   #9

G'dy guys,

ok how does this look now? I just grabbed a bigger size. The actual shot itself it around 6000x4000 give or take, but that just wasn't going to fit.

Ollie
Old Jun 20, 2006, 11:47 PM   #10

Impresive!
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote