Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1

Hi, friends.

Nighttime photography is something that intrests me very much. So I went out the other night to practice some skyline shots of Minneapolis. After taking a large range of photos, here was about the best I came up with:

Camera was a D50 with the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 lens.
Shutter speed was 1/1.3 (.77) seconds @ f/1.8

I would say its a decent photo, but a problem I have with it are the washed out street lights. Most of the buildings look good to me, but there are a number of lights that appear overblown. Although, I'm not sure if there would be any way to alleviate this. Maybe an HDR shot.....

Also, my colors came out very saturated. I actually had to undersaturate it a bit in Photoshop.

Are there any general comments or advice for taking nighttime shots? Not so much with post processing, but more with camera settings and technique. Are there certain lenses I should be using? etc...

I'd love to see some other examples of skyline shots from any of you as well.

PoweredBySoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:37 AM   #2

Err hi,

ok the image is too soft. I should say blurry actually. The city is imo too far away and the shot is overexposed. What iso did you use btw? I would suggest a lower fstop too and longer time exposure personally. Maybe f5.6 and 10sec or there abouts. Depending on light which you have lots of. Damn cities they all just glow.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 1:15 PM   #3

It might be soft due to the fact it was pretty windy that night. Despite using a solid Manfrotto tripod. :sad:

I know it's too far away, but given the fixed 50mm, there wasn't much I could do about it. I'm just working on technique at this point.

It was taken as ISO 400.

I will try a smaller aperature and longer shutter speed like you suggested.

Ollie77 wrote:
Quote:
Err hi,

ok the image is too soft. I should say blurry actually. The city is imo too far away and the shot is overexposed. What iso did you use btw? I would suggest a lower fstop too and longer time exposure personally. Maybe f5.6 and 10sec or there abouts. Depending on light which you have lots of. Damn cities they all just glow.

Ollie
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:22 PM   #4

Lower the ISO too.
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 2:55 PM   #5

I would suggest a lower ISO and a longer shutter speed.
Morag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 6:31 PM   #6

Hello PBS,

The Nikkor 50mm is an excellent lense for these types of shots. Is this image heavily cropped?

If not using a remote to trigger the shutter, then turn on the 2 sec timer to eliminate any camera motion.

I'd use the lowest ISO setting you have available with the D50 and I like to use my 50mm wide open. Heck, the city isn't moving so you have the opportunity to try a variety of settings. :-)

The image doesn't look so blurry to me...It just appears too cropped and too small.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2006, 8:40 PM   #7

Ahh I see,

ok well the weather can be a bit annoying at times. At one stage a mate of mine decided to head out for night shots, and three times in a row it was fine weather until we got to location and then it started with the wind. We thought we were cursed.

Hope you do well next time without the wind.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2006, 11:36 AM   #8

Thanks for the posts, guys. Yeah, I know the 50mm is ideal for low-light photography, but it seems I have to learn a bit more about how to use it in those conditions. I'm just not happy with the way that shot turned out. I plan on going back there this weekend and trying again. This time I will play around with aperature settings (last time I just assumed I should shoot in f/1.8 ) And hopefully it won't be as windy. =)

I was using the IR remote.

Yes, the city itself is small in the image. But that's due to the fixed 50mm, and the fact that the lake is fairly large. I cropped out a lot of lake and sky for that picture.