Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:34 AM   #11

I noticed the same thing when I was taking photos from the Landmark Tower in Yokohama, Japan.
The windows were terrible, so many reflections, finger/hand prints and just dirt.
It was really difficult to find a decent spot where you could take a shot without reflections.
Most of my photos came out with a reflection of 3 guys sat at a bar behind me!!
I'd love to go back again with my new camera and filters etc, the view of Yokohama and Tokyo in the distance was amazing.

Nice shot btw
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2006, 2:57 AM   #12

Hi Matt,

This is one absolutely awesome shot, and the framework on it is great also. It is too bad that it couldn't have been taken under more ideal conditions for you. Regardless, I still think that it is a super shot - and only wish that 'I' had taken it :-).

________
Blessings,

Nathan
NLAlston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 3:57 PM   #13

hey well i actually live in chicago and i was actually at the hancock building today. anyway, great shot, and the circumstances were unfortunate. i just have one minor suggestion, which u may or may not agree with. when i look at the picture, i see it a little crooked. i think that it's a little higher on the right compared to the left. and i dont think thatbecause of the sears tower and cause of the lake. i would go ahead and rotate it ever so minimaly, but i still would try it. either way great shot and cool border.
DejaViews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2006, 4:30 PM   #14

Nice composition.

However, I'm a little uneasy about the washed out citylights. Wasn't it possible to tone down the effect somewhat? Maybe a shutter speedor two? A second ortwo less, if it was within that range? Was this taken on program mode?

I know I'm being harshand I'll accept my flogging. :-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:22 PM   #15

LadyhawkVA wrote:
Quote:
Before you buy the software, I think I have an idea about how you could do this frame with your editing software. I use Microsoft Digital Image, but I'm sure it would be similar in Photoshop, Elements, etc.

Okay, here goes:
First make a copy of the entire photo.
Second, apply gaussian blur to the entire background image.
Third, paste your sharp copy over the blurred background.
Fourth, crop your sharp copy to the size you want it to be in the final product.
Fifth, select your sharp copy, which is smaller than the background copy now, and put a thin black frame around its edge.

I'm at work now, so I can't try this at the moment. If I get a chance to try it tonight, I'll post the result here (if you don't mind) so you can see whether it works.

By the way, I love your photo, with or without the frame.
Quote:
Hey Lady,
Quote:
I tried doing it in PS CS2 Can't figure it out!! But I have Microsoft Digital image and it was easy to do on that. I would like to get it to work on PS but can't seem to get it to work.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 3:16 PM   #16

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:
Nice composition.

However, I'm a little uneasy about the washed out citylights. Wasn't it possible to tone down the effect somewhat? Maybe a shutter speedor two? A second ortwo less, if it was within that range? Was this taken on program mode?

I know I'm being harshand I'll accept my flogging. :-)
The raw file was shot about 2 stops darker so yes this is within range. In fact if I went darker it would help the noise issue I had with the image quite a bit.

Regarding the helicon filter program in general, I like the ease at which it automates things for batch processing. I guess I could make actions in photoshop to do the same too though. By the way, the noise reduction in Helicon is very nice. It has an equalizer that applies varied amounts of NR depending on the color/tone (ie. useful for NR on a blue sky but not the green trees/grass in a landscape).
nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote