Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 27, 2006, 4:35 PM   #1

ok everyone... This is my first attempt at postinga portrait of someone. I have quite a few others, but wanted to post a few to see what you all thought. Critiques and praises are all welcome! I will be posting a couple of other ones on here, and would really appreciate the help! I will be posting others on my yahoo photos page (http://photos.yahoo.com/wrestlinboy2003) if you wanna see any other ones of these, or any others I have taken.

Thanks as always for the help and encouragement for someone who is really trying to learn, and wants to possibly make a living off of this.

Peace!

Steve-o
Attached Images

wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:14 PM   #2

I must register to view your other shots stored in Yahoo?!?!:?:?
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2006, 9:21 PM   #3

About the picture posted above.... I think the composition and lighting are good. But I think the picture would've look better if you were a little closer to your subject. This way you can get more of his facial details in the picture. But thats just my opinion.

Kaspian
Kaspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 3:22 AM   #4

yea, nicely exposed, i wquite like the composition, but yea i agree, i tink a little closer

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 5:26 PM   #5

Kaspian wrote:
Quote:
I must register to view your other shots stored in Yahoo?!?!:??
I put the wrong address... sorry... here's the real address. http://photos.yahoo.com/wrestlinboy2003 see if you can do it again... if not, let me know, cause then I'll have to move somewhere else.

Shoes...

Thanks for the advice btw.
Old Jun 28, 2006, 6:46 PM   #6

I also agree on moving closer to the subject. Below is the framing for what I think would've been a much better/more personal shot.
Attached Images

Justin Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:33 PM   #7

Hello Wrestlinboy,

Overall this is a pretty good portrait attempt. I'm not sure why others feel that you should be closer for a full length shot. You were smart to allow some flexibility for cropping. If you had framed the subject too close, then you may have to cut off his feet for an 8x10 print. There is too much wasted space in this image, however. Above his head and on the left side of the frame the extra space does nothing to enhance the portrait.

The cap works very well to frame his face and lead the viewer where you want though the sky in the background is a heavy distraction. Size up your background first and if you see elements that may be distracting then move on to another location.

The cap frames the face nicely, but creates a new problem. Your subject has a shadow on his forehead down to his eyes. A reflector or flash for fill would have worked very well for this sitting. The human eyes have more dynamic range than our digitals so we often do not see some shadows to the extreme the camera will. It is important to learn where the shadows will fall.

The sunglasses do not enhance this image and are probably not necessary and would have been one less distraction if left out of the image. You can compare the difference with my sloppy edit.

Lastly, smooth out as many wrinkles in the subjects clothing as you possibly can. Wrinkles or pulled clothing create lines that can often become distractions.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 8:05 PM   #8

The only suggestion I have that hasn't been said is that your depth of field was too great. The trees in the background are too in focus and draw attention away from your subject. Notice how Rodney blurred them in his edit. Blurry enough to be unobtrusive, yet you can still tell your subject is in a wooded setting.
Broncosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2006, 9:58 PM   #9

The shot posted here I am sorry to say does nothing for me, its a nice shot, it just dosen't "say" anything to me when I look at it, its justa guy lounging on a tree.

Unlike the marvelous shot you have in your Yahoo library, reference 100_0146.

Why on earth are you hiding sucha great shot on Yahoo for?, stick it on here and let everyone see it.

It really is a great shot, it has character and feeling in it,But most importantly (to me anyway) it "says" something to me.

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:27 PM   #10

Rodney... I like the blurring in the trees... was that just the standard blur filter? I am still pretty green to all of this, y'all, so please bear with me. I do like that edit... the glasses were his idea... he wanted them in the pic. Plus, for some reason, I can't figure out how to do a border/frame like you put in there. I have photoshop elements 3.0 at my house... but have access to photoshop cs2 at the university. Any help on that would be great!

I wanna say, I do appreciate all the feedback. It helps me more than you'll know.

as far as the yahoo pic mentioned. I didn't put that in here, because it cropped the head and felt it was too close. I will post it and see what others say. It's a pic of my mom.

Again, thanks for all the feedback and such.

Steve