Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 28, 2006, 7:55 PM   #1

Hi All,

I haven't posted in a while, but it's good to be back

Here's a macro shot I took earlier today. I was going for something uncluttered and simple. May have overdone it with the central composition? Let me know. Of course, all other C&C welcome!

Best,

-Ben

edit: it seems the black background of steves isn't doing me any favours with this one... maybe best viewed in a new window on its own, so you get a lighter background.
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:53 PM   #2

wow...

So is that a 'yes, this photo does indeed suck'?(which it does on a black background, but try it on a white/neutral for me?)

Or is that just a 'we have no idea who you are anymore, so we're just not going to bother critiquing it'?

I don't often moan on here, but steve's used to be a great place to get a good, honest (sometimes blunt - but still useful) critique on photos. Now, it seems, there is a lot of 'that's great' or other similar short responses that while they might swell one's pride, aren't actually useful, and don't actually come under the category of 'critique'. Rather, they are positive comments.

Still, short comments are still better than no comments...

-B

Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:19 PM   #3

Overall it is a nice shot, but doesn't really move me. Of course, I've not acquired a taste for this type of artistic rendering. Others may be moved right out of their chairs. :-)

I think you will achieve more impact with a slightly tighter crop so the subject will not seem so small in the frame. Also it needs a litle contrast boost.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:50 PM   #4

Before replying I spent the nest part of 5 minutes trying to work out what it is exactly?

As for the shot, I like it, though I did find my eye initially drawn to the background rather than for foreground at first, so maybe taking out the background might have a greater visual impact on the overall image.

But thinking about it, that would also leave you with an object seemingly floating in space.

As for the centered subject matter, I personally think its marvelous. The light reflecting off the three petals (for want of a better word) gives it a lovely crystal effect, which conveys to me, a delicate feel to the whole image.

I hope my humble opinion is of use to you, and maybe you would be so kind as to C&C my attempts at mastering photography in return.

KFA

OK, so im an idiot! After seeing Rodney's edit I realised it was a flower.

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:30 AM   #5

Thanks to you both for sharing your thoughts on this.

Rodney, thanks for the advice and the edit - it's really helped out.

KFA, thankyou too for your suggestions - I'll have another play around with the cropping.

It is actually a macro shot of a flower's pistel, and part of the flower itself can be seen as the pink blur at the top.

Finally, my apologies to all for my somewhat terse comments above - frustration got the better of me. Guess the hot weather helps one be irritable.

Best wishes,

-Ben

Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:43 PM   #6

I know the feeling of frustration waiting for someone - anyone- to post a comment, and nothing happens.

I have a thread active at the moment where I used my camera phone to take a shot, posted it thinking that I would get some feedback on it as its an unconventional shot and its taken with a camera phone - something you don't get a lot of on here. And so far I ain't heard squat!

Thought I just noticed it has mystreiously disappeared from the forum.

Wonder why?

Old Jul 5, 2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Administrator

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
I know the feeling of frustration waiting for someone - anyone- to post a comment, and nothing happens.

I have a thread active at the moment where I used my camera phone to take a shot, posted it thinking that I would get some feedback on it as its an unconventional shot and its taken with a camera phone - something you don't get a lot of on here. And so far I ain't heard squat!

Thought I just noticed it has mystreiously disappeared from the forum.

Wonder why?

I see a camera phone image from you, and I haven't removed one (and I don't think Kalypso did either, as we normally copy each other if a thread needs removing for any reason).

Is this thepost you're referring to?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=90

If you misplace a post, you can view your own posting history (click on your own username, select profile, and you'll see a posts tab. Here is a direct link to your posts:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...51&posts=1

I've posted images in the past that didn't receive any comments. So, I wouldn't let that bother you. Members may not have figured out anything constructive to say about it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:51 PM   #8

Yep, that's the one, my mistake - sorry.

Thanks for the info and the links, help me track down a few other pictures I had forgotten about too.

I know not everyone comments, but I thought it was a pretty cool pic from a camera phone, especially as its unedited, but I guess the rest of the world don't share my point of view, either that, or their not ready of my brand of useless photography :lol: