Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:02 PM   #1

Another one taken while touring.
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 6:50 PM   #2

Hi Alex,

I like the colours and the setting of this one, however there are a few issues with it, as far as I see.

1. You've cut off some of the building at the top, while there is space at the bottom of the photo (the space in itself is no problem, but the building cutoff is, especially when it seems you had space to include the very top of that building)

2. While the buildings are well exposed and 'punchy', there's a lot of overexposure in this image (in the sky, also the white parasols, among a few other areas). If you have photoshop, this can be rescued to a decent extent with Shadow/Highlight, though some areas will remain overexposed and somewhat distracting (e.g. the row of parasols near the horses).

The use of S/H brings out some noise in the sky, which you might want to get rid of by running the photo through a noise reduction program, such as NeatImage.

3. I'm not too sure on the composition, there are some odd angles in there, and the building at the far right is cut off at a weird angle, which draws the eye. Also, because of the overexposure, the eye is drawn to those bright areas, and away from the subject(s) - the horses and buildings.

As follows, a quick edit (hope you don't mind)

Best,

-Ben

Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:08 PM   #3

This was a challenging image to capture. The overall scene consist of light tones and the darker tones are the main subject. Any dark tone that isn't the subject then becomes the distractions. Bright whites will not draw the viewers eyes away from the intended center of interest. It is my opinion that this image is slightly underexposed.

You will get better critiques if you post slightly larger images. The detail in this one is difficult to make out because of the size.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
Attached Images

RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 5:00 AM   #4

ok no probs, thanks Rodney.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:38 AM   #5

Hi there, first I must say I'm kind of jealous I wasn't there to take the pic but you did a decent job I think ... this said it deosn't mean it can't be improved on ...

When taking a pic you always need to keep in mind to frame it the way that only these things are in your viewfinder that are really needed, so eliminating is the core word in photography. You also need to take care of vertical and horizontal lines being straight ... don't let house tumble over unless it's a very high building and you don't have a choice.

Try to get the best composition and this to focus on the main object, here I would say the total of the square is meant and n ot the horse and car only.

I took the freedom to tweak your picture a little becasue I thought it needed a little improvement and also I guess it's to 'hard' for the colors on the square so I softened it.

Take a look and tell me when you like the result ...
Attached Images

belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:43 AM   #6

And the same framed to give it a nicer finishing touch

Attached Images

Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:42 AM   #7

hi Belgian i think it has improved it a little, but the soft focus is a little over done to me, it now looks out of focus, but thanks anyway for giving it a go.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:03 PM   #8

The framing is much better and the lines are running straight, nothing is toppling over but the softening is just a personal touch that would have been much better if I could have started of the original pic, which I regretably couldn't.

Anyways, have fun taking pics and think about the things that have been said, written and showed here ... you'll do well
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:38 AM   #9

Thank you.