Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

View Poll Results: Is the image Good or Crap ?
Crap 9 60.00%
Undecided 3 20.00%
Good 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 2, 2006, 8:11 PM   #1

I took this shot earlier this evening, and I have been looking at it on and off for the last few hours, and I honestly cannot decide if its for the recycle bin or my photography folder.

To me its not exciting, its not well framed, andthe subject matter I personally think is boring.

But the colour is kinda nice in a crap sort of way.

So at the moment it is sittingon my desktop, and its fate lies with you, is it worth keeping or worth chucking?

I look forward to your votes andreplies.
Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 4, 2006, 9:40 AM   #2

Hi KFA,

It's not a bad shot, but as you say, not a particularly exciting one either. You've done well to get the silhouettes of the houses with the sky nicely exposed. The texture of the sky is pleasing. I find myself wanting to see either no houses, or more than just the tops/first floors, which I see as the main problem. I have to say, compositionally it just doesn't quite do it for me.

The levels on this were pretty good, but I did do a quick edit, giving it a bit of a saturation boost in PS CS2. Below is the result - hope you don't mind!

Best,

-Ben
Attached Images

oBSidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 1:11 PM   #3

not much you can do with this one. there'snot enough color or drama in the sky to bother with, and the composition lacks any point of interest to draw the eye. the only real question is - no offense intended - why did you even take this shot?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 2:00 PM   #4

Was standing at my front door with the camera, I had just finished shootingsomething else, turned round, saw that big old cloud, and thought, that's interesting in a crap kind of way, and took the shot.

And like I said, when I viewed the shot on the pc, it was again, interesting in a crap kind of way, so I posted it to see if others thought the same.

After looking at the thing for a while now I personally think its possibly the worst photograph ever posted on Steve's Forums, and every day it gets that little bit closer to the Recycle Bin.

And with 71% of the vote saying so too, its kind of a unanimous decision.
kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2006, 12:34 PM   #5
Administrator

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
After looking at the thing for a while now I personally think its possibly the worst photograph ever posted on Steve's Forums, and every day it gets that little bit closer to the Recycle Bin.

And with 71% of the vote saying so too, its kind of a unanimous decision.
Well, now you've got a vote for good (mine).

I like it.

Some of the reason is probably the contrast between the silouhettes of the homes in the neighborhood and the sky.

For some reason it seems to invoke interesting emotions, and I can almost imagine some residents in the homes getting up earlier in the morning, putting on the coffee and getting ready for work, while others are still sleeping.

I like the sky the way it is in the original as it seems to balance well with the homes. IOW, the drama of sky colors isn't really what draws me to it. It's more the representation of a typical suburban neighborhood in the early morning and you lose some of that appeal with the edited version (at least for my tastes).

Added:

I see that you shot it in the evening versus the morning. ;-) I like it anyway. As the old saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". I think it's a very powerful image.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote