Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 3, 2006, 7:38 PM   #1

This is one of a group of flowers ive tried to photograph. Im not really a flower person although i love roses. I was trying to get some shots half as good as those of some of the shots I see here in these forums

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:32 PM   #2

Itsa nice shot, the detail is great.

I would have a deep red rose to emphasize the water droplet effect on the petals too.

My edit is not the most mind blowing thing you are ever going to see, it was a real rough job, I clarified and lightened the image just a touch, and increased the red and blue tones of the image, cropped it in nice and tight and finished it off with a little soft focus.

Hope this info helps

KFA

Attached Images

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:19 PM   #3

thanks, I was having trouble deciding on a crop for this
Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:45 PM   #4

G'day,

ok I like the original. And I don't mind the crop. That is the crop itself. maybe a bit less of a crop though. And as for the edit it is now way way way too soft. So much so it made my eyes feel like they were out of focus and feel funny.

Maybe something between the two. And if you didn't touch up the softness then the crop has enhanced it in some way.

Ollie
Ollie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 4:05 AM   #5

Out of your recent three flower shots, I can say that this is my favourite one. The slight softness which adds a touch of romance is well balanced with ample detail of the rose revealing its beauty. Appreciating KFA's effot on one hand, still, I wouldn't consider a tighter crop than the original.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:01 AM   #6

excellent shot mate

i actually like both compositions of this shot. I thin the shot is a tad soft but i think in the close up version it really suits it. Colouring is nice and suttle. great exposure, form is nice and clear

lovely

ken
kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2006, 6:56 AM   #7

Well I tried to give the edit a more femine feel, as it is a pink rose.

I got a bit happy with the soft focus andmy end result ended up looking like a 70's love song album cover.

Still, I, and I am sure everyone else who has read this thread, have taken the advice given by everyone on board, and I am sure lessons have been learned, they heve by me.

I have to say though that, aladyforty, has a marvelous on line photo album link in her profile, and the pictures they have onthere of birds are deffo worth a look.

kung-fu-alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2006, 9:41 AM   #8

kung-fu-alien wrote:
Quote:
Well I tried to give the edit a more femine feel, as it is a pink rose.

I got a bit happy with the soft focus andmy end result ended up looking like a 70's love song album cover.

Still, I, and I am sure everyone else who has read this thread, have taken the advice given by everyone on board, and I am sure lessons have been learned, they heve by me.

I have to say though that, aladyforty, has a marvelous on line photo album link in her profile, and the pictures they have onthere of birds are deffo worth a look.

Thanks for reminding me of that online album, I had completely forgotton it. I have added anotherbatch ofphotos to it now, more up to date from page two onwards.

http://julieholland.myphotoalbum.com...umName=album02
best viewed as a slide show