Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 8, 2006, 6:04 AM   #1

Haven't posted a pic for critique in quite a while so go ahead and tear it apart. This one is one of the only shotswhere she was actually sitting and looking at me, couldn't get her to smile to save my life! Any thoughts are welcome. The crop is not final as I left it loose for different print ratios and the upper and right hand side will be cropped.
Attached Images

GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2006, 8:51 PM   #2

Very nice lighting and very adorable! Tighter crop top and right side and frame it!
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 10:28 PM   #3

Well done. Has a timeless quality to it.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2006, 11:52 PM   #4

Don't feel bad- they always smile for me AFTER I shoot 'em!

Beautiful child---piercing eyes. This shot is a real keeper...

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 4:20 PM   #5

Nice shot. Exposure, lighting, etc. are right on. I agree with the suggestion of a tighter crop. She doesn't need all that boring space around her - she's adorable.
LadyhawkVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:21 PM   #6

Thanks all. I agree about the crop, that's why I said it in my first post about the print ratios, I guess I should have went ahead and cropped it before resizing, since this is obviously not the file going to the printers, and offered a final crop for critique. She is normally a pretty happy one, even waited until after her nap, there were just too many distractions in the backyard and she wanted to play, not sit in some stupid chair! Thanks again for your thoughts! Any and all are appreciated.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:01 AM   #7

Overall this is a nice portrait, but the wooden rocker out on the lawn seems a little out of place to me.

Because of the light colored dress, matching the background with good blurring would have worked much better. A lighted background rather than shaded would have given better tonal results. Notice how the dress in your image has a strong presence? Unless a fashion shot, you always want the face to have the strongest presence.

Technique looks pretty good, but a longer focal length would have provided better results. If you do not have a longer lense, then an alternative is to back up and crop more.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 12:28 AM   #8

I agree with Walter on this one, many a portait was taken this way back in the early 1900's. Maybe a B&W take on this would be nice with a bit tighter crop but let me say all in all, the baby looks beautiful.
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2006, 5:17 AM   #9

Thanks Rodney, I think she agreed with you about the chair as that seemed to be the last place she wanted to be. I figured you would say that about her dress, but not having a studio or backdrops, do you have any suggestionswhat to useoutdoors? I guess I could have used darker clothing, but I wanted a more spring/summer feel.I wanted to keep her in the shade as controling the exposure is easier. I did blur the BG a little in post, perhaps I could go a little more. I am shooting with a Fuji S7000 and would have liked to use a longer focal length, but had to keep close as I would get maybe 1 shot for every 3 times I set her in the chair. Thanks for the time, always welcome.

Wagaboo, thanks for taking a look and the coment. I sure would have liked a smile, but it reminded me of old child portraits too for some reason. I thought of B&W or sepia but haven't tried one yet. We think she's pretty cute too. Thanks again!