Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jul 18, 2006, 11:09 AM   #1

This is my buddy Josiah and his lady. They are engaged, but didn't want the typical 'engagement' picture. They really really liked this pic. What do you think? how could it have been made better? Would appreciate any/all comments, feedback, praises, hype.

I love this forum!
Attached Images

wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 18, 2006, 12:02 PM   #2

First of all, great capture!This type of shot is difficult and I am definitely no expert. HoweverI have a few suggestions and ideas plus (I hope you don't mind) I did a quick edit in Photoshop elements.

There are a couple awkward elementsto my eye. I'm not sure I like his right arm being cut off at the left side of the picture. Also, her elbow is too prominent in the picture and positioned too close to her pretty face and detracts from her. The whole picture seems a little over exposed and therefore you lose detail in areas such as her shirt.

My edit went as follows. 1. clone in extra foliage to fill in the blown out background. 2. sharpen a tiny bit 3. play with levels to tone picture down and add contrast4. clone out reflections on face and elbow to look more natural. 5. slightly saturate colors

Hope you like it:-) Take care.
Attached Images

phlip16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2006, 9:06 PM   #3

Some sugestions:

1. Try to not "cut" peoples' arms

2. Try to avoid to place trees on people's head:idea:

3. Keep trying!:-)
vidiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2006, 4:22 PM   #4

I very much like that setting and position that they are in.

I agree that it is distracting to have trees sprouting from peoples heads. It would be best to change your shooting angle slightly. Also, get as much of the whole body as possible. I think it would be better to crop down to what you want, but get as much body as possible.

The one thing that struck me first was the MTV logo on his shirt. When I look at it, the first thing that my eye goes to is the logo, instead of his face. Either a plain colored shirt, or something that is patterned all over would be best. Words draw your eye quicker than anything else.

cyancey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:29 AM   #5

re: trees growing out of heads, a wider aperture would have thrown the background more out of focus, de-emphasizing the trees.

I really like the posing and modern feel. A cityscapesetting would work really nice with a "hip" couple like this. Her white shirt does wash her coloring out though. And the cutoff arms don't bother me if they're not at the joint. Unless your wanting full-length portraits (including every limb & phalange) you have to cut them off somewhere sometimes...

nice work! adorable couple...can't wait to see the wedding pix
urbanaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 12:37 AM   #6

This isn't a bad shot, but lacks the professional look you want to achieve. The background is an issue the same as I mentioned in one of your earlier posts.

The subjects limbs being cut off are ok. As someone else mentioned, sometimes you gotta do it and you did it correctly, though this should be a wide angle shot. The reason it should be wide or full length is because of the distance between the subjects heads.

The writing on the man's shirt is not a distraction...there is little contrast between the writing and the shirt. Indeed, the viewer will want to check it out, but it doesn't attract the eyes first. Make a print and hold it up in front of your eyes for 1 second to see what the major distraction is. This is a crazy guess, but I think you will find that her shirt is the big distraction. :-)

The pose is ok, but would be much better if the framing was a wider view. Generally, you want the eyes of one subjects to be in line with the other's lips when the subjects are lovers.

Thanks for sharing.

Rodney Blair
RodneyBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:37 PM   #7

Hey everyone... Thanks as always for the help and feedback. It's deeeply appreciated! I really wanna make a go of this, and any and all help is awesome.

Are there any websites out there that help someone become a 'professional' photographer? I am really wanting to work with photogrpahy and see what I Can do to possibly make it a living hobby.

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:39 PM   #8

Hey all... here was a fun picture I took. I was able to get pretty close to the ducks... let me know wha tyou think.
Attached Images