Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 14, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

I have two sunset pictures that I have been considering entering in this year's State Fair Photo Contest. I can only pick one of them. Please tell me what you think of both of them and which one is the best. Thanks!

First One:

Second One:

planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:17 PM   #2

Number 2 because of the more dynamic sky.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

Decisions, decisions.

The ducks give an added strength to the foreground in the first picture but I definitely like the quietness of the second picture. The colors and depthare more rewarding to the eye. However, the rock to the left of the trees at the bottom right take a tiny bit away whereas in the first picture the ducks make it unnoticeable to a degree.

That said, picture number two, since it is quieter,says more without the ducks because the gentle ripple in the lower left make up for the absence of them.The ripple makes the photo work better because the ripple tones down the strong bottom frame line, which in the absence of the lower left ripple, would have damaged that photo.

Photo one has a betterrise of the trees in the distancein the second two thirds from the bottom on the left side of the frame; photo number twodoesn't have that added eye-pleaser.

Finally, I like what I'm seeing more ofin photo number two. It says a lot in its solitude and almost flaming-type, saturatedcolors. Scrolled all the way to the right keeps the tree from being placed in the exact center of the frame; close, but not damaging.The ''hut'' is slightly off the horizontal but not a distraction.

Number two works for me.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the comments VAtechtigger and the detailed analysis Andrew Waters. I was leaning more towards number 2 as well. I liked number one because of the ducks, but I didn't like all the black at the bottom. I like number two better because of the better colors and the dynamic sky that VAtechtigger commented on. I also agree with Andrew Waters on the solitude and quitness in number two.

I think I'm going to use number 2, but any other comments would be welcome.

Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:16 PM   #5

both pics are nice, but i prefer number 2 for the same reasons mentioned.
in the first one, my first reaction was to look at the ducks, whereas in the second it was the sky.
if its the sunset in particular that u want to draw attention to, then imo go with #2

ofcourse, i don't want to take anything away from the first picture..they're both great!
destiny06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2006, 9:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the comment destiny06. I think I'm going to use picture number2. Thanks again everybody for all your help.