Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Critiques (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques-83/)
-   -   Effiel Tower Ticket Line (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-critiques/98181-effiel-tower-ticket-line.html)

nelmr Aug 15, 2006 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The color in this shot did nothing for the image so I did a B&W conversion.

alex james Aug 16, 2006 3:47 AM

This is a good shot nelmr, only one problem, the highlights are blown you could have got this back in photoshop.

Andrew Waters Aug 16, 2006 11:21 PM

Since I'm new to digital photography Alex please explain to me what and where the blownhighlights are. Seriously.

I mean I'm looking at the gentle curving of the beams, continually addressing the eye as it movesabout the frame in varying degrees of grays and black; then the curved left and rightbars at the top stop the eye from moving out of the frame too fast because of the nearly horizontal,diagonal and verticalones above them. Even the lines at the bottom of the frame gently lead you to theright and then usher you back into the picture. Thenof course there is aglare because of the tower lights.Is this a blown highlight? It is a distraction of course. Is it the portion of the picture to the left of the crowdat the bottom that's blown? It's obvious I have to learnsome interpretationin terms of digital terminology, butin my ignorance I was thinking a highlight was an integral part of the picture rather than a mildlydistracting glare in the location it was.

I'm not trying to be aggressive here, I just needaguiding hand.

nelmr Aug 17, 2006 9:30 AM

Perhaps I overdid it with this picture. I'll try a new B&W conversion when I get time. To me the lights are too distrating but difficult to deal with the get the tonal values of the rest of the picture correct. I'll have to use layers in photoshop to fix it of course.

alex james Aug 17, 2006 11:05 AM

Andrew when i looked at the picture, i was at work, and the monitor i had in front of me was a new tft screen, and has not been set up right, looking at the photo on my screen at home i can see that the highlights are quite good, other than the bright light which is a little distracting, the only thing i would do is alter the contrast a touch. :cool:

alex james Aug 17, 2006 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi nelmr hope you don't mind, i had a little go at it myself, all i done was masked out some areas and used the curves, and dodge & burned a little.This is just for Andrew to show him what can be done.

nelmr Aug 26, 2006 8:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, here is a retry at the B&W conversion. This time I used the blue channel at 80% and green at 20% to reduce the burnout caused by the tungsun lighting and then some curves and local contrast enhancement adjustments.

Andrew Waters Aug 26, 2006 10:24 PM

In a word: Ausgezeichnet (excellent)

Just came back into the house at 10:25 p.m. Chillin' on the driveway.

alex james Aug 27, 2006 1:43 PM

Great job.:cool:

Andrew Waters Aug 27, 2006 4:09 PM

So you guys are going to force me to get into post-production anyway aren't you; once I buy aDSLR that is. :-)