Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:39 PM   #1

The color in this shot did nothing for the image so I did a B&W conversion.
Attached Images

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2006, 2:47 AM   #2

This is a good shot nelmr, only one problem, the highlights are blown you could have got this back in photoshop.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:21 PM   #3

Since I'm new to digital photography Alex please explain to me what and where the blownhighlights are. Seriously.

I mean I'm looking at the gentle curving of the beams, continually addressing the eye as it movesabout the frame in varying degrees of grays and black; then the curved left and rightbars at the top stop the eye from moving out of the frame too fast because of the nearly horizontal,diagonal and verticalones above them. Even the lines at the bottom of the frame gently lead you to theright and then usher you back into the picture. Thenof course there is aglare because of the tower lights.Is this a blown highlight? It is a distraction of course. Is it the portion of the picture to the left of the crowdat the bottom that's blown? It's obvious I have to learnsome interpretationin terms of digital terminology, butin my ignorance I was thinking a highlight was an integral part of the picture rather than a mildlydistracting glare in the location it was.

I'm not trying to be aggressive here, I just needaguiding hand.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2006, 8:30 AM   #4

Perhaps I overdid it with this picture. I'll try a new B&W conversion when I get time. To me the lights are too distrating but difficult to deal with the get the tonal values of the rest of the picture correct. I'll have to use layers in photoshop to fix it of course.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5

Andrew when i looked at the picture, i was at work, and the monitor i had in front of me was a new tft screen, and has not been set up right, looking at the photo on my screen at home i can see that the highlights are quite good, other than the bright light which is a little distracting, the only thing i would do is alter the contrast a touch.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:32 AM   #6

hi nelmr hope you don't mind, i had a little go at it myself, all i done was masked out some areas and used the curves, and dodge & burned a little.This is just for Andrew to show him what can be done.
Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2006, 7:12 PM   #7

Hey guys, here is a retry at the B&W conversion. This time I used the blue channel at 80% and green at 20% to reduce the burnout caused by the tungsun lighting and then some curves and local contrast enhancement adjustments.

Attached Images

Old Aug 26, 2006, 9:24 PM   #8

In a word: Ausgezeichnet (excellent)

Just came back into the house at 10:25 p.m. Chillin' on the driveway.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:43 PM   #9

Great job.
Old Aug 27, 2006, 3:09 PM   #10

So you guys are going to force me to get into post-production anyway aren't you; once I buy aDSLR that is. :-)