Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:54 AM   #21

Andrew Waters wrote:
Quote:
The subject is the little girl, not the background.
On the superimposed line, pull the left frame over to the ''R'' but leave enough space; do the same with the right frame.
To each his own, but it is not as simple as you put it. You make it sound as if there are no options and yourway is the only artistic method of composing the shot.

As cute as the little girl (subject)is in this photo, the background, especially the wagon, add a very important elementto the composition of the photo.That's not to say a portrait can't be derived from the originalphoto. It's just that if you were to do it both ways, you might find most people would appreciate it with more background.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 6:59 AM   #22

Geminichild wrote:
Quote:
Sorry I really started to have fun she is such a cutie
I don't think you need to apoligize and you are really doing a great job of dressing up this shot. In fact, I would probably have done something very similiar to what you aredoing. I've been working with photo editing software for quite some time,more along the lines of animated art, but I can tell you are good at it.

Old Aug 22, 2006, 8:02 AM   #23

Here's my attempt. I was mostly interested in bringing out the face a bit better, you can't do much about the highlights in the background...

So I played with the histogram, a shadow/highlight touchup, a bit more color (maybe it's my TFT display, but I thought a bit more saturation would look more natural), USM for defogging and USM for resharpening after 640x480 resize.

Not that big makeover, but that's the way I'd go. Enjoy!

Look at these blue eyes!

You could go for some more highlight removal if you feel this isn't enough, but at some point things start to get too dark... I'd personally stop here and go no further:

P.S. I agree - she's a cutie :-)
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:18 AM   #24

OK... here's my variation. I rotated it slightly just even up the horizon a bit and covered up the "white" space from the rotation with a 3D edge rather then cropping it. I also adjustedthe picture a bit so the highlights don't look so blown out and enhanced the colors a bit. I reduced the filesize so that I could upload here. I don't think it lost anything.
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:31 AM   #25

Here's a cropped version to eliminate some of the background, but I wanted to retain as much of the wagon as possible. I wish the original image had not cut off the child's name label"Sienna" on the wagon, but not a big deal.
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2006, 9:44 AM   #26

Nice Job Mean
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:08 AM   #27

Geminichild wrote:
Quote:
Nice Job Mean
Thanks... here is the most I would crop this photo or as close as I would go to portrait.
Attached Images

Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:48 AM   #28

meanstreak wrote:
Quote:

To each his own, but it is not as simple as you put it. You make it sound as if there are no options and yourway is the only artistic method of composing.
Fair enough.

However, the idea is to get a picture that is technically correct toa large degree, circumstances permitting of course.

If the little girl had been sitting in the wagon turned toward the lake looking at it then the lake would have significance. It is clear from the picturethe photographer had the little girl and her red wagon as the attention factor. Now it's always possible the lake has some significance for the photographer as it may be an area of recreation for him/her. If this is the case then maybe a fishing pole or boat could have been inserted toward the rear of the frame to show that, in addition to the little girl, there is another activity to be had at some point in time.This, to me, would have offered an explanation as to why the lake is competing with the little girl for the viewers' attention.

As it stands, afterthe viewer has been satisfied with thegirl and her wagon the attention is drawn to the lake. Unless you can show there is a relationshipwith the girl andthe lake then that muchbackground is irrelevant.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 10:54 AM   #29

Great cropping of the photograph. It works now. It's a winner.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2006, 11:03 AM   #30

Thanks to everyonewho gave input and did their own editing of my photo. I was able to get a lot of different ideas from what everyone did/said.

As far as the significance of the lake, it's just a small lake on our property. Only large enough for a row boat or something. We swim there on occasion. I was pulling Sienna in her wagon andthought it would make a pretty background. I'm trying to figure out when to do which setting with my camera (ISO, f-stop, etc.), so I was mainly playing with that. It's hard for me to catch her smiling.When I got that smile I wanted to try to make the best of the photo, even though it's overexposed.

Thanks again for all of your much needed input.
afayec is offline   Reply With Quote