Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 20, 2006, 1:29 AM   #1

I really need to find where this castle is. Nevertheless in a sleepy little town in poland is a mid-evil small caslte. This view is facing the gate from the inside. Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:18 AM   #2

Its a good photo, I like the way the wall leads the eye around to the gate, but its a little under exposed, levels would make this a little better. Hope you don't mind i had a go at it.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2006, 9:22 AM   #3

hope you don't mind me having a go.
Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:03 AM   #4

Alex, your right that it is underexposed but I don't want to blow the highlights in the clouds. So this is what I came up with:

What do you guys think?

Attached Images

Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:06 PM   #5

yesthats a lot better.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 5:28 AM   #6

How about reducing the sky exposure to bring out more detail ?
A very quick effort with some dodging and burning of the path and wall.........
Attached Images

Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2006, 9:22 AM   #7

Stranger,

Hmm... I've haven't thought about burning and doggging the image selectively to make the mood more pronounced. I'll have too play with the some when I get home, though I tend to err on the side of conservative, I think this will help the image if I use it sparingly. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old Aug 29, 2006, 7:57 PM   #8

I'm late with this one.

That said, I see nothing wrong with the very first picture. I would put it on my wall anyday.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 2:35 AM   #9

I think this improves it a bit. (Original on the right)

Paul(UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:50 PM   #10

Well the digital darkroom can work wonders I see, but to whose eyes.
Obviously the lastre-worked picture captures the eye immediately after entering the room so to speak but conversely it gives me the strong impression of falseness. And it isn't myintentto be harsh, but objective. However this objectivity can quickly intertwine itselfwith subjectivity at a moments notice simply because of what digital photography represents as a whole and that is ''improvement,'' which of course represents subjectivity.

It seems to me the ''untouched'' (?) originalphotograph has the answer. The colors seem more in line with thesurroundings. And of course I have no way of knowing this except from the photographer.

The red roof and the gate entrance in the last remakeseem to be at odds with each other simply because to my eyes, unless they were freshly coated with paint together,one, of necessity, will have had more weathering to it and I'm sure it will have been the roof since it will havebeen taking a direct hit from the elements.

The wall on the left seems to have a life of its own also. There looks to be an unnatural sheen to it. Even the leaves on the pathwayhad to acquiesce to the artist's digital remaking. I'm sureall these had to be improved because to leavethemuntouched in the remakewill have meant they will be at odds with the roof and gate area. And since I don't have a clue what it takes to make a ''darkroom photographer,'' (really showing my ignorance) then it looks as though you can't leave too much untouched in a remake because then it will upset the ''natural'' appearance of order.

That said, if everything is (nearly) equal in a photograph, then is it really necessary to add to something that doesn't need it anyway. Subjective statement no doubt. And I realize this can't really be answered to anyone's satisfaction because whatI see isn't what another will see. Is this because of the wonders of digital that (unwarranted)liberties can be taken to, hopefully, give a picturea perceived ''needed'' extra hit.

Finally, I know the retouched last picture, in addition to the other remakes, don't let me see what the remakeris asking me to. I fully understand the need to salvage pictures but not whimsically maneuver them, particularly since the original has been seen.
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote