Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 23, 2006, 7:44 PM   #1

Tell me your thoughts please.

Attached Images

nelmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:13 PM   #2

I hate to do this to you nelmr. Is there anyway to get rid of the spectator on the lower left? This picture is too ''clean'' for the person in it. The person isn't important enough. :-)Ibelieve this will be a very special picture if not for thelower left spectator and the green bottle beside him/her. The open lower right door wouldseem as though it needs to be closed just like the other one. Although this may not have been the case had the spectator not been in the picture. I say this because this picture is really working onme; I believe I could have left the door alone.

This picture shows how you carefully, and I domean carefully, lined up the vertical frame. I'm looking at some of those horizontal lines on the building in the background and found myself scratching my headbecause none of them clash. I'm looking at the, yes, framing on the left and right bushes and wondered to myself: Okay, tell the truth, how long did it take to set this up? Just kidding because it doesn't matter. Keep on framing nelmr. Yours is an art.

This picture represents strong vertical lines which show strength. And this photograph certainly shows that strength but for that minor discrepancy. That discrepancyinterrupts a powerful show of dignity.

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:24 PM   #3

Okay, Andrew, I have some shocking news for you.

When I'm doing the dead center perfect alignment shots I do try my best to get it just right (and I did with the gardens of versailles shot and the hallways of versailles). But this image was far from perfect originally because I had to til the lens upward to get the framing I wanted. This produces distortion at 17mm and causes and effect that makes vertical lines appear as though they are reaching to a vanishing point out in the heavens.

I will conisder cloning out the person and adding the door. It might work depending on the amount of detail I'll have to clone.

This is the original image before perspective correction:

Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2006, 10:54 PM   #4

Here is the pic with the person and bottle removed and the door closed:

Attached Images

Old Aug 23, 2006, 11:45 PM   #5

And it doesn't matter that the correction from the 17mm tiltis in effect.

The average viewer would have been impressed anyway with the non-correctedpicture tilt. The casualviewer will have glancingly noticed the tilt and offered no conclusion. The eye will have been led into the picture.Also, the ordinary viewer understands it knows nothing too much about the technical part, just the results to be seen. A reference will be a group photo I took many years ago with my Tokina 24mm f/2.8. I was right on top of these people knowing full wellthat someangularitywill be present . Once the picture was developed, film of course, no one noticed the slight angle and mild stretchingproduced by the lens. All that was offered initially was an, ''Areyou sure you can get everyone in.'' This alsowill be a reference to your Berlin Dome photograph. :-)

Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2006, 7:38 AM   #6

The thing with the berlin dome is that the distored object is a statue like thing that is part of a bridge. Since the dome is quite a ways off the distortion there is minimal. I've tried to correct the perspective on the image and what I end up with is an image that has the bike (which I wanted to keep) cut off partly and the statue thing way too large.

Sometimes perspective distortion doesn't bother me. In this image though, I think the correction (as well as the la madaline shot) make them even better images.

Thanks for the compliments by the way on the shot.
Old Aug 28, 2006, 1:07 AM   #7

excelent shot. love the framing here

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote