Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 2, 2006, 7:19 PM   #1

tell me what you think
Attached Images

lsager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:43 AM   #2

Well done... i like the silhouette.
I wonder if it could be better by cropping the land at the bottom out, just leaving the wateredge and just putting a v.slight 1.5 degree anticlockwise rotation to straighten the horizon. But well done. I like it
clem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2006, 6:05 AM   #3

great shot

composition is great, exposure is spot on and i love the saturtion. Nice and deep and i love the range

ken

kenmck15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:33 AM   #4

The only thing I would adjust is the horizon, as noted by Clem, counter-clockwise to a level position with the frame.

Np further action is necessary in my opinion.

Clem suggests removing the foreground. If done, then what to do with the tower? Then it becomes a distraction. My specific view on the tower is, without the foreground, left to itself, it will puncture the bottom frameThe viewer will be left wondering what it is anchored to. Of course the easy answer will be to say use your imagination and offer the tower anchored in the water but since the foreground presents the answer then there is no need to fill in the details; the photographer did it for us.

As it stands the sloping of the ground to the left towards the tower gives it needed depth. This is a really nice picture.

Clem, just consider this a respectful critique within a critique. :-)
Andrew Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:47 AM   #5

An after thought: The eye needs to be satisfied moving around the frame. This picture has done that . Once you lock in on the content, sunset, then the eye will start to see other things the photographer had in mind. The viewer looks to see if the balancing act has been carried out. Case in point: initially the tower looks to be to far into the frame. Then the eye notices the tiny outgrowth to the left of the tower thereby satisfying the eye with that perceived lack of space to the left of the tower.

Then we move up to the upper right third of the picture and see the heavy black cloud that appears to ''mob'' that portion, until you scroll up, then you say well done because your hasn't been suddenly led out of the frame to nowhere: the bright portion above allows you to leave gently, keeping the mood intact in this picture.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 10:53 AM   #6

I just noticed the tower seems to be straight with the frame. If the horizon is tilted counter-clockwise will that make the tower lean to far left? It does appear to be bent on its left/middle section.