Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Welcome Center > Photo of the Day Contest

Old Oct 4, 2010, 8:48 PM   #11

This is a great example of what makes a great photo. Is it that technically superior? Composition wise, better than your average shot? Does it follow the rule of thirds very accurately? Or is it a great shot because very few of us would have the chance to get that kind of shot. I think anyone with an iphone could have got the same greatness if they were there in the plane next the the OP. So what is it that makes a great photo....the technical perfection or the unique position of the photographer to be able to capture a very unique event?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:24 PM   #12

uhh, bynx, the OP was standing on the ground. the plan was only about 100-200ft above the tarmac when the pilot ejected. but yes, i get your point,
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:03 PM   #13

I'm no pro, but my take on that question is that what makes this one a great photo is the stunning, gut-level impact that it has on the viewer. In my opinion, visual and emotional impact is more powerful than technical perfection. You can't draw someone in to see the detail and admire your skill if your photo has no initial "wow" effect on them.

Again, just thoughts from an admitted amateur, take it as you will.
kaaryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:38 AM   #14

My point exactly kaaryn. And if that shot was taken from the ground, then double WOW. Its one of those once in a lifetime shots. Being there with the camera pointed was all just luck. Clicking the shutter took a bit of skill, and there was some time to get the shot right because I imagine the plane was upside down for a bit before the pilot ejected. Im just saying that an awesome pic like this is 99% luck, and 1% skill. Now if the OPs pics were consistently of this nature then I would have to reevalue the percentages.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2010, 9:28 AM   #15

That shot just makes you ask so many questions. Some of the best shots over the years weren't taken with a good camera or didn't come out all that beautiful but they evoke a response. That's why its a great shot.
Jyaku is offline   Reply With Quote