Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Photo Inkjet (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-inkjet-43/)
-   -   epson 925 questions (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/photo-inkjet/10663-epson-925-questions.html)

djb Jun 16, 2003 11:28 PM

epson 925 questions

recently i bought an epson 925 photo printer. i don't have a pc yet so i am printing directly from smartmedia card. i'm still just playing with camera and printer so there are really no worthwhile shots. anyway, i'm on my 2nd color cartridge. the first cartridge got me 4 or 5 8x10 printas anlong with about 40 4x6 prints. they all came out really nice. most people thought they were prints from film. now the problem i am having is that it appears the printer is putting too much ink on the prints especially in dark green color. the prints look mottled or crackly and i've only done 1 8x10 and maybe 20 4x6 prints and my cartridge is getting low. is there a way to adjust the amount of ink and how many prints can i expect from a cartridge? thanx in advance!!!

dennis

Gregersonsalvage Jun 17, 2003 2:36 AM

Are you seeing lines or are you seeing splotchiness????

If they are coming out wierd colors or with lines do a printhead check. check to see if any of the lines are missing. If there is one or a couple do a printhead cleaning. All this is in the menu if you press the button that shows the ink/paper button press that and you will see printhead cleaning or check.

Also are you using offbrand ink or Epson ink???

Are you using Epson paper or other brand??? If other brand which one???

How long was it since your last use. Epson printers need to be used at least once a month or problems can occur to printhead drying up.

djb Jun 17, 2003 4:27 PM

thanx for the reply. it's splotchiness that i am getting. not missing any lines. using epson ink and kodak paper which all my previous 4x6 prints have been. it's last use was only 2 - 3 weeks ago. it really appears that too much ink is being dropped on the paper. i want to try an 8x10 (epson paper) but hate to waste it if the results will be the same. oh it's all on glossy premium paper. it only seems to appear in very dark colors and green in particular. maybe a bad cartridge? thanx!!!

dennis

Gregersonsalvage Jun 17, 2003 7:32 PM

Well Kodak paper on Epson printers has'nt had the best of luck. I reccomend trying to use only Epson, Konica, Illford, Canon, Red River papers. These papers will net you the best colors as well as the best prints.

Splotchiness is often a net result of the wrong paper usage. The best place to get Epson premium glossy 4x6 paper is from www.buy.com do a search for "Epson Premium" Its only 15 bucks for 50 sheets of 4x6 shipped to your door.

djb Jun 17, 2003 8:14 PM

thanx!!! for the time i may just cut up a few sheets of epson 8x10 and print some 4x6 prints to try it out.

dennis

Red Man Jun 18, 2003 5:23 AM

gregersonsalvage hit it on the head. Epson does not play well with Kodak paper. My old 785 epx had the same problems then I switched to Epson professional works great just a little expensive. The other problem I had with the Kodak paper and Epson Colorlife is that if you put them in a plastic sleeve(like say for a photoalbum) if you don't let them dry for a couple of days (especially if you're in a humid area)the picture will stick to the plastic. Looks like crap even after you pull it out of the plastic sleeve. THe picture really shows some blotches afte that.

djb Jun 18, 2003 4:47 PM

thanx for all the replies. my only wonder is that for 4x6 i am using the same batch of kodak paper that i used on my first ink cartridge, which the pics came out great. the second cartridge the pics are pretty bad. what it looks like to me is that the ink somehow is repelling the paper surface and beading up and gives a mottled or speckled appearance. but, if this is a problem between epson printers and kodak paper then, i guess my printer is getting a divorce from kodak. thanx again!!!

dennis

djb Jun 20, 2003 4:27 PM

well idecided to waste a sheet of 8x10 epson glossy paper and print an image that was really splotchy on a 4x6. the 8x10 printed just fine with no sign of any aberations despite it ran out of ink just as it finished the print. so, maybe it is the kodak paper. i guess i'll give the 4x6 kodak paper to the wife. she seems to have good luck with it. i haven't seen any epson 4x6 paper locally. why is it so hard to find?

dennis

Gregersonsalvage Jun 21, 2003 12:16 AM

Kodak pays to have thier stuff in the stores and tries to make you think it will work on your printer through label marketing. If you want to get it the best place is probably to go online to http://www.buy.com search for epson premium its only 15 bucks for a 50 pack shipped to your door. Should take less than a week to get to you.

Buy.com is a very reputable internet company.

djb Jun 21, 2003 12:30 AM

thanx Gregorson!!! will check out buy.com

dennis