Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:52 PM   #911

CPingN wrote:
Quote:
I made one the day after the instructions for modifying the MP780 came out and posted a pic of it with a printer disc in it. Just search for my posts, I don't have that many. It was SUPER easy to make with that template. I haven't even bothered to glue it, I just used a few strips of double sided tape and some packing tape. The cardboard came from a box of Nunn Bush shoes or something of the like. plasticard would be a killer idea, but really the only problem I have with mine is that the lack of rollerwheels means you might have to hit the OK button occasionally to get it to pull the tray in. usually you can just push down a tad bit with your fingernails or even push it lightly and it will do the rest anyway.
I was one of the few people who complained about the lack of rollers. For some reason my mp760 takes the tray no matter what I do. I must modify my statement and say that the ip3000 no longer requires me to manualy push it in so long as I inch it back a few mm... i.e. align the tray with the arrows on the printer. While it seems to want to grab the tray a different distance each time, it hasn't failed to print since I discovered this. Odd I don't have the same issue on the mp760, perhaps the rollers are thicker or made out of a different rubber.

zakezuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:44 PM   #912

I agree.
Blake

jonbgood wrote:
Quote:
paiger651 wrote:
Quote:
THANKS TO THOSE THAT MADE THESE CANON PARTS AVAILABLE.....

The ones that are bitching about the price and the way there being offered. Your free toorder you one from europeand then see how cheap you can get one butyou rather let someone else do all the work than wine about the price........
Thanks paiger! It's ironic to see that those people who complain the most are the ones who joined this forum last, without really contributing anything, and are just taking advantage of the hard work of those who did all the research to find the manuals, software, and parts.

As far as hacking is concerned, I don't think there's anything illegal about changing the destination setting of your printer. You're simply following the procedure as described in the official Canon manual. I'm not selling the service manual, I just tell buyers where to find the instructions on the internet.

If expansys-usa sells the European version of the printers here, I don't see any problem with selling spare parts for them, as long as these are the official Canon
parts purchased from an official Canon distributer.
legalsmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:56 PM   #913

Well, I just bought some printable CD's, and my homebuilt tray works perfectly! Here's parts list:

Evergreen Sheet Styrene .060" (1.5mm) 6"x12" - $2.25 at my local hobby shop
Evergreen Sheet Styrene .040" (1.0mm) 6"x12" - $2.49 at my local hobby shop
3 tiny bits of aluminum foil
Super or plastic glue - about $2

Tools:
Ruler with mm increments
Razor knife or Exacto knife
Downloadable templates
Pliers
Round and flat files

Using the templates available online, I cut the base out of 1.5mm styrene using my exacto knife. For the long parts, you can score then use pliers to snap the piece off. This gave me a solid piece of white plastic. I did the same thing to the sheet of 1.0mm sheet. This gave me two identical-shaped pieces shaped like the tray. I then printed the template available at http//pixma.cjb.net/, taped it to the 1.0mm thick piece of styrene, and scored through the paper with my exacto knife to mark where the three reflector cutouts go. I then took the sheet off, and cut out the three square holes for the reflectors.

Next, I made some measurements to work out where the CD went. Making marks on the 1.0mm sheet, I then lay down a CD and traced around it. Then carefully traced that circle with my razor, then cut that part out. You will probably need to use a round file (or carefull cutting) to smooth out the round hole. The CD should fit in there easily with no sticking, but not too loose. I now had two sheets, a solid piece of 1.5mm and a piece of 1.0mm with three square holes and a big round CD hole.

Next, I spray painted my 1.0mm piece black on the side that faces up.

After that dried, I glued three tiny pieces of aluminum foil to the underside of the 1.0mm piece, shiny side out.

When the glue dried, I glued both plasticard pieces together, and put a few books on them to press them flat. Left them to dry a bit.

Finally, I checked the fit in my PIXMA. It was a little tight, so I grabbed my file and filed a little off both sides till it slid in easily. I then printed out a Gwen Stefani CD for the GF, worked perfect.

Total cost of parts was under $10. Took one evening to do all the work, because I took my time and went slow. Note that the Evergreen styrene also comes in black, so you can skip spraypainting if you order that. Most hobby shops don't carry the black in stock though, so you or they might need to order it.

EDIT: I'll try to get some pics up later.
mostholycerebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2005, 6:09 PM   #914

I have a North American IP5000 and have been unable to locate the tray alignment arrows that have been referred to in a number of postings. Could someone explain where these are located

Thanks
bajet86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 2:00 AM   #915

bajet86 wrote:
Quote:
I have a North American IP5000 and have been unable to locate the tray alignment arrows that have been referred to in a number of postings. Could someone explain where these are located

Thanks
I could repost the images but that would be a waste of space :P

There is a better one some 5 pages back but the ones I listed on my faq are adquate.

http://users.cjb.net/pixma-faq/3.html

Old Jul 21, 2005, 8:34 AM   #916

Hi all,first thankyou to everyone involved with this project.

I've just bought an mp750 and have a question.

My question is,I set the region no problem but when I get to the next step cd calibration the alarm light flashes and nothing happens.

I go to the next step,eeprom and the printout shows a value under cdrs but not cdrp.

Has anyone else had a problem with the cd calibration step and if so how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance
damnlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:15 AM   #917

damnlimey wrote:
Quote:
Hi all,first thankyou to everyone involved with this project.

I've just bought an mp750 and have a question.

My question is,I set the region no problem but when I get to the next step cd calibration the alarm light flashes and nothing happens.

I go to the next step,eeprom and the printout shows a value under cdrs but not cdrp.

Has anyone else had a problem with the cd calibration step and if so how do I fix it?

Thanks in advance
The presently level of troublshooting information is limited as fewer people have the mp series and the procedure was established at a later time.

When the printer was set to US, the software would ask I close the front door to print. When the software was set to not-us, I only experenced this problem if I tried to align the printer with the CD-Tray rather than paper in the rear feed.

For the alignment step did you have a piece of paper in the rear feed? The manual calls for a4 but I used letter and that seemed to work, even if the alignment was more off than my ip3000.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:28 AM   #918

Thanks for the quick reply,

It's working now,I set everything back to factory and started again and this time it all went through without a hitch.

I guess I screwed something up the first time.

Now to get hold of a Canon tray.
damnlimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 6:16 PM   #919

Dutch Auction now up for 7 Trays.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6787564121
Chousden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:19 PM   #920

Need a tray quick? Get FREE Priority Mail and FREE media:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6787717614

Edit: updated URL
liberty2020 is offline   Reply With Quote