Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Jan 22, 2005, 2:57 AM   #1

My only complaint with the printer is that I got it as a general-purpose printer mainly for text and the text came out gray unless you select best quality or high resolution paper. Both settings make for slow printing if you just want a quick print. My old HP 930 and 722 both printed nice black text very quickly in draft mode. Someone else on the board reported gray text except at higher qualities, so it wasn't just my printer.

I refilled my black cartridge for the first time and now my draft and standard text is actually black. My guess is that they shipped some iP4000 printers with a weak black ink.

I crosschecked Oddparts and they have several inks for the iP4000. They are recommending the WJ1010 as closest to the Canon ink, and that is what I was using in my HPs. So I put it in the Canon cartridge and it perked it right up. I have a pint of pigmented black for the Canon I ordered from MIS which I haven't used yet. I'm hoping it is WJ1010 or something very close. I don't want any more gray text and I would hate to chuck a pint of ink.

Canon cartridges are easy to fill. Someone on the board recommended a product that isn't very available in the US. But a Google search found it is very similar to Super Glue's "Handi-Tack". It is a polymer putty that replaces tape, pushpins and tacks. It turned out I already had some and it works great for sealing the hole.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:32 AM   #2

Hi slipe,
Will be getting a ip4000/5000 shortly, I also read a similar report about the gray text in draught mode.
I wonder if its anything to do with the cartridge being stood in their packing containers and not being used etc., just a wee thought I had, also bear in mind it is a different ink as to the photo inks.

I know that if you shake the cartridge in question there is a chance of creating 'air bubbles' but what if you let it standing a few hours, maybe slipe some ink wizzard could comment here (with your permission).

In the UK guess 'bluetack' will do has a stopper, it's like a blue putty/plastacine material

Regards

Dave
davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:07 PM   #3

BlueTak was the stuff that was recommended – I think by an Aussie. I think Handi-Tack is about the same thing except it is yellow. I like it a lot better than the replacement balls.

With the liquid ink reservoir in a new cartridge I would think it would soak into the sponge regardless of treatment. The Canon cartridges aren't like the HP color cartridge with all sponge that can't be overfilled. I've refilled my Canon S9000 cartridges for over a year with no problems. And HPs and a very old model Canon many years before that. My general conclusion is that you don't have problems as long as you don't let them run completely empty.

If a tank gets an air bubble you don't get the kind of indications I was getting. You can usually start printing OK and it will start skipping or weaken as it prints. I printed an entire 400 page manual and the print never changed.

The large black tank holds a pigmented ink. I got gray text in draft and normal until I put different ink in it. The only conclusion I can come to is that the Canon pigmented black ink is weak. Maybe it was just a short-term supply thing where they used some other ink than their normal stuff. Let us know if you get nice black text in draft mode with your new printer.

I really like the printer now that it is printing good black text without waiting forever for best quality. I haven't tried duplexing at higher quality. It is possible that it won't dry fast enough to duplex at high quality. Oddparts has some faster drying pigmented ink if it won't, but I am happy with the way it is working now as long as it will duplex in draft.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2005, 12:24 PM   #4

Many thanks slipe, I've made a note of that and certainly will bear in mind - 400 wow... now that IS respectable!

Cheers and many thanks
davy is offline   Reply With Quote