Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Printers > Photo Inkjet

Old Oct 3, 2005, 10:24 PM   #1

Ok have been reading about using formulated ink for refilling canon carts i was considering getting some BCI-6 compatibles and extracting and using the ink from these to refill my i4200's carts.
I Think this ink would then be more suitable than universal inks as the cart maker would have formulated it for its very simular cousins.
@ 69p a cart i cant complain.

ChilledoutUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2005, 11:22 PM   #2

ChilledoutUK

It is very possible that you will have a color shift in your prints. The BCI 6 cartridges are to have a different ink formulation than the new BCI 8 cartridges used in your 4200.

This is all that I have read. I believe that BCI 3 cartridge from previous models might have the same ink as the large black in your printer.

I have also read that Canon only really changed the Magenta formulation, but nothing to show proof of that.

You also might want to check with the manufacture of the compatibles that you will be using, they might have some info on their website.

Bill
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:46 AM   #3

I have done a before and after test on iP4200, using the original inks and then compatible BCI-3eBK and BCI-6 colourrefill ink. Not much difference, possibly the original Canon is a bit more vibrant, in the colours which have a mix of magenta. However, I am sure some colour adjusting can compensate for this. Overall, the difference is hardly noticeable and if you looked at the print using the compatible ink on its own, it would be perfectly acceptable. No doubt whengood qualitycompatible ink for this printer is released, this would no longer be an issue
laikanuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 9:21 AM   #4

You might want to check out this link: http://www.weink.com/ecom/catalog/ul...ks_4404718.htm

Weink.com makes refil ink for the Canon Chromalife 100 cartridges, it's less work than taking ink from a BCI-6. Plus the ink is supposed to be a closer match to the inks you are currently using.

terryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:18 PM   #5

thanks for the link but im in the uk so getting ink from there will take ages and no doubt my customs will try to pole me with import taxes.

Old Oct 6, 2005, 5:12 PM   #6

I used up the cyan in my cartrige so i used the bci6 compatible carts ink and drained and refilled all the colour carts with the compatible ink. I have printed some stuff off afetr running a couple of cleans to get the ink flowing and i must say i am very happy so far print quality seems just as good as before.